Weird cut of butt?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokymcsmokster, May 8, 2014.

1. smokymcsmokster

smokymcsmokster Fire Starter

I ordered a butt from my butcher and I've never seen this before but it looks like the spine is in it? It was expensive too. What's up with this cut?

2. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Got pics ?  Would make things easier.

3. smokymcsmokster

4. demosthenes9

That's a seriously strange cut.  Having trouble figuring out exactly what it is.

5. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That sure is the backbone. I would either bone it out and have the loin or cut in to pork chops.

6. smokymcsmokster

But it's suppose to be the shoulder not the loin

7. demosthenes9

Just out of curiosity, what part of the world are you in ?

8. smokymcsmokster

Montreal canada

9. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Can't say what that is. Sorry.
    "Butt" is not as frequently used north of the border - some butchers (supermarket) would not even know what you are talking about.Blade roast, shoulder (incorrect , I know) are commonly used. What I do is ask them to show me the whole shoulder then point to the butt. Actually I used to to that ; now I buy the whole thing - they charge as much for the butt only.

10. smokymcsmokster

yeah i asked for the shoulder and thats what i got, you think if i went back they would take the cut back? it looks VERY muscular with little fat 

11. Can we see another angle of it?

12. smokerjim

smokerjim Meat Mopper

it sure looks like the rib end of the loin,that is where what we call the country style ribs come from,definitely not butt.

13. smokymcsmokster

i went back to the butcher, i still dont understand what part that is, but they gave me a nice real shoulder. i had to show them a picture of the blade bone to understand what part i was talking about. its french here, and my french is very terrible