Weighing vs. measuring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like dials. I like ease of calibration. I *always* weigh my cure and the meats I am curing. Seasonings and other non-lethal things get the regular old measing sups and spoons (or pinches and shakes if I'm lazy)

I REALLY like bowls I can wash & sterilize.

I have the big scale for Big Stuff

f32ab52b_4e66d8cd_boneweigh.jpg

And the little scale for little stuff:

e96d44dd_49b13809_weighcure.jpg

as far as accuracy it is just fine...........i test them with sticks of butter. also as i get older i value the big ass dial! as for esthetics  ............ i  .........a '68 camero will always be in style! this thing has a big plate to hold just about anything and if it won't fit i can just get a 1/2 sheet pan and put it on and still see the dial. i'm sure when i get into other cures (high mountain is in Tbsp) i will want to get a small digital.
I just put 6 pieces of Deer Hind Quarter into cure at 3 PM. The packs took 7/16 oz, 9/16 oz, 1/2 oz, etc, etc. The digital makes it so easy.

Mine reads in 1/8oz increments, so if I need 9/16 oz, I put 1/2 oz on the plate. Then I put what it needs to get it to 5/8 oz on a little pile separate from the 1/2 oz. Then I take half of the little pile away.  LOL--
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

Good golly miss molly!

People have been using cups and tablespoons for years, and it worked for grandma who probably just used her hand to measure.

When baking, you might want to use weights, but, then certainly use grams vs oz for accuracy.

Good lord, most of what we do is just cooking.  LOL

Then I put what it needs to get it to 5/8 oz on a little pile separate from the 1/2 oz. Then I take half of the little pile away.  LOL--
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bear
wouldn't that be 10/16..............
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
I'll let that go, because of your Ninja Skills, but don't push it!

My Model "88" will trump your blade at 100 yards!

Bear

Good golly miss molly!

People have been using cups and tablespoons for years, and it worked for grandma who probably just used her hand to measure.

When baking, you might want to use weights, but, then certainly use grams vs oz for accuracy.

Good lord, most of what we do is just cooking.  LOL
Howdy Venture,

Good point, but I think I cure and smoke a lot more than I just smoke.

I think getting my cure amount to the nearest 1/16th ounce is close enough.

Most of the stuff I just smoke, I don't use anything to measure it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky