Weekend Feast and QVeiw......PP is the star of the show

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

qdog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Marion Ia
Ok wanted to get a jump on the weekend menu and QView thread :) View to come!   The plan is to have the feast after the Hawk game which should be over with a victory around 2!   So I will be putting on 2 butts Friday evening around 9 or 10 this should get them done in plenty of time and resting in the cooler and ready for pulling.    I am going to go with lump on this one.  First time using it and I was a bit worried about getting a long overnight burn with the lump.  But as I understand if I pack tightly this should not be an issue with the WSM so I am rolling with it.   

Ok the menu, with all new twists I have been wanting to try out

EDIT MENU

ABT’s- will toss on in the morning for the game.  Might do these on the Performer with the smokenator
PP- two different rubs, going to do a mustard base slathering with one and both using different finishing sauces
Corn Bread
Bobs Beans with a twist
Parmesan Green Beans
Creamy Slaw
Bread Pudding and
Home made Vanilla IC for dessert!

Can wait and the whole crew is looking forward to it!  I will update with pics tomorrow evening once I get back from Tampa and get the butts bought and rubbed as well as the getting the sauces going.   Man can’t wait to get this baby rolling!

Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

It sounds like a good plan now just don't forget the Q-view.

Sounds like its gonna be some good eating around your place this weekend

At the airport and will be home this afternoon!  Stop at SAM club and let the games (pics) begin!

So on with the show!

I stopped on the way home from the airport and picked up a couple of Boston Butts.

Pulled out the spice tote and whiped up a couple of Rubs, both new to me!,and  both a bit modified but found on this forum here->  Jeffs Rub and Bilbos Rub

Then time to get dirty!  rub a dub dub two butts in da tub errr island :)

So serious looking!

Hey Nice Butt ehh?

All tuked in for a 24 hour cold nap in the fridge!

Next update tomorrow night once the real fun starts!

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
what the hell is the red army.  If they eat like this I need to join. 

Well the Q went off without hitch!  And the Butts went on at 10PM Friday evening.  As I mentioned I was using lump for the first time.  I know royal oak gets a good  reviews, but I could only find the Steak house version so I decided to go with it

Then carefully packed the coal ring and got a nod from Sir Chance

Had a few beers, cause fire is always more entertaining with beer

Started up the chimney and noticed the lump does spark but not as much as some have said with other brands.

So pretty!
Poured the hot coals into the ring and let the smoker come up to around 200

Loaded up the meat and called it a night!  Well had to finish my last beer!

The WSM does a fantastic job holding temps and normally I wouldn’t even check until a good 8 hour sleep.   But using the lump I wasn’t sure how long the fuel would last so I checked a couple times during the night and the temp didn’t move one degree all evening, freaking awesome!  The Lump lasted about 10 hours and I needed to add some more.  After 13.5 hours I had these 2 little beauties!

Then wrapped and put in a cooler for 3 hours.   After my Hawks finally decided to score a TD and win the game…don’t get me started errrrrr….it was time to pull!
The bones fell right out

Pulled nicely…still very very hot in there
And pulled away!

As mention we had two rubs and two finishing sauces we wanted to try and ended up with 6 platters to try!

Ummmm Ummmmm  Um  very good stuff!  After tasting and tasting I put  a plate together

Man this was a good smoke and learned even more.   Plus I have 10 or so food saver pack of pork tenderness in the freezer and some leftover for today!
Cheers!

WooHoo! That is a great looking plate of food! Glad to hear the WSM is treating you well, you almost fealt guilty when I started using mine.... no fire tending for 10+ hrs. lol.

Lookin good. You got some really great bark on those suckers. It looks like you have good taste in beer too. I was wondering if you are into IPAs? Its my favorite beer style and let me tell you, they are perfect with pulled pork, especially if you've got a nice spicy, vinegary sauce. Nice job Q! You are really, really, making me want my wsm. Gotta wait til Xmas though!

Wow..this is what it is all about! Great lead up to the pics...I love to hear the stories of how people get ready...prepare...move forward!!! with a smoke! The beer really does make a fire more entertaining! The QVIEW was 110 Percent. Love the crust...love the pulled pics...love the Plate!!! Looks like you really do have something to celebrate (besides the win...heheheh)

Thanks for the QVIEW...you really have a knack for presentation :-)

All looks Great QDog !
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice looking plate too---That would definitely do!

Bear
By the time I sat in front of the plate I was pretty stuffed, but gave it the ole college try!

WooHoo! That is a great looking plate of food! Glad to hear the WSM is treating you well, you almost fealt guilty when I started using mine.... no fire tending for 10+ hrs. lol.
Love the WSM!   Wish I would have went for the 22 inch but seriously for our family this baby does just fine:)

Lookin good. You got some really great bark on those suckers. It looks like you have good taste in beer too. I was wondering if you are into IPAs? Its my favorite beer style and let me tell you, they are perfect with pulled pork, especially if you've got a nice spicy, vinegary sauce. Nice job Q! You are really, really, making me want my wsm. Gotta wait til Xmas though!
This was the best bark I have had to date without a doubt, and man it was good.  I think the lump had something to do with it.  The taste between the 2 rubs is very distictive and both really good in there own complexity.   Beer ah beer makes me a jolly good fellow, I love beer.....eh ah I digress :)  Yes I do like IPA quite a bit and is a great choice for Q.  But I really don't discriminate against any beer that tastes good to me.  And hey a super cold Miller lite hits the spot more time than not too!

That is some good lookin' grub. I love the heavy bark on the PP.

Thanks for the Q-view, you did an excellent job...
Thanks Bluechip!

Wow..this is what it is all about! Great lead up to the pics...I love to hear the stories of how people get ready...prepare...move forward!!! with a smoke! The beer really does make a fire more entertaining! The QVIEW was 110 Percent. Love the crust...love the pulled pics...love the Plate!!! Looks like you really do have something to celebrate (besides the win...heheheh)

Thanks for the QVIEW...you really have a knack for presentation :-)
Thanks!  Between this and my Home theater build thread it sure keeps me busy!  But I like to share all the details and interact with the forum community.  My way of paying back a little for all the info I learn on the forums!

Cheers!

Last edited:
QDog what a great post. Nice job with the qview - would you care to review the rubs and what you liked and might change

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky