Wednesday Thanksgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elginplowboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Elgin Tx
Smoking a 12# Turkey with two Cornish game hens. Started defrost and brine yesterday.
Here is what worked for me in the past.

Brine:
2 gallons of water
1.5 cups of canning salt
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbl minced garlic
1 Tbl coarse ground black pepper
2 Tbl minced onions
2 Tbl cure #1

Stirring twice a day. Using a gallon ziplock bag filled with water to hold everything down in brine. (Thanks pops for that trick). Will update as things happen.

Looking forward to the updates!  Got some great-looking helpers there.  I love the dynamic of kids helping, as it transitions from taking twice as long because they're helping, to where it actually goes faster because they're helping.  Have fun!

Thanks, yep best little helpers.
Update:
Birds pulled from brine rinsed very well and back in fridge. Air cooling.
Plan:
Wake up at 4
Start preheat of smoker max temp 275.
Pull birds from fridge and give final paper towel dry then rub down with extra virgin olive oil and a light dust of salt and pepper with a little butter rubbed under skin.
5:00 place in smoker and set temp to 225.
Smoke till breast is 175 and thigh 180. Adding chips every hour. Should be done around 11 for 30 min rest the 30 min carve eating at 12.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky