Wednesday Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I have done BBRs only twice. The first time was not that great, but edible. The second, good enough to see potential. Today was forecasted to be cooler so I picked up a rack yesterday while getting jerky meat. I need to keep trying!

I rubbed them the night before.

D2201878-7603-40D3-91C6-9A2175AB952F.jpeg

This morning while it was still cool, into the Frankenstein smoker they went at 135 over hickory.

B6F1D5F3-997A-4247-A0FB-E3A5343D55CE.jpeg

I let them run for 4.5 hours unwrapped, then began watching the temp and probing. Per tallbm tallbm recent summary on ribs, at 198 and with soft probing, I pulled them. They had a nice bend, but not as much pull back on the ends as I expected.

Mrs smoke prefers to have them sauced and carmelized. I make my own bourbon sauce starting with Jeff’s recipe. I even used garlic from my garden.

2366FFEE-C3F3-4C8C-B348-3F122DE29F86.jpeg

They were done with some pull from the bone, yet tender. I am very happy. Thanks to your help, I have something I can work with and improve. Mrs Smoke was very happy!

7670CA37-13D6-46C8-8F33-DFAAB5916151.jpeg

Attachments

• 1AB476D1-285C-4BFF-A7AB-025A8E28680C.jpeg
    1AB476D1-285C-4BFF-A7AB-025A8E28680C.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 9
They look great to me. Man i could eat that rack right now. Lets face it, when you get something perfect a few times in a row its time to try something different. Love the idea of garden garlic, send some this way please!

I'm with Mrs. Smoke...that would make me happy too! Nice looking ribs!

Ryan

I have done BBRs only twice. The first time was not that great, but edible. The second, good enough to see potential. Today was forecasted to be cooler so I picked up a rack yesterday while getting jerky meat. I need to keep trying!

View attachment 639601

This morning while it was still cool, into the Frankenstein smoker they went at 135 over hickory.

View attachment 639604

I let them run for 4.5 hours unwrapped, then began watching the temp and probing. Per tallbm tallbm recent summary on ribs, at 198 and with soft probing, I pulled them. They had a nice bend, but not as much pull back on the ends as I expected.

Mrs smoke prefers to have them sauced and carmelized. I make my own bourbon sauce starting with Jeff’s recipe. I even used garlic from my garden.

View attachment 639602

They were done with some pull from the bone, yet tender. I am very happy. Thanks to your help, I have something I can work with and improve. Mrs Smoke was very happy!

View attachment 639603

Man those look great!
I'm glad the tips helped. That's SmokinAl SmokinAl 's technique with my number 198F (he does 195F) and just a little best practice of checking for tenderness in case the probe is misplaced or straight up lying to you haha.

I love me some baby backs. I did 2 racks in the oven yesterday because I couldn't make time to use the smoker. I did the same technique and they taste great!

Now it's time to repeat the process and tweak taste and woods and whatever smaller things you want to tweak to nail the flavor that perfect for you! Great work! :)

Reactions: OldSmoke
Those look like awesome ribs, nice smoke ring as well. Congrats on getting it how you and the Mrs like them. Hickory is great wood for ribs. I just started using cherry and like them as well.

View attachment 639601

View attachment 639604

View attachment 639602

View attachment 639603
They look great. A few questions:

1. What rub did you use?
2. How do you like the vertical smoker?

A few weeks back I got a very cheap Charb-Broil offset as a gift. It is a piece of junk, so now I am going to buy my own. I always liked the idea of vertical smoking, especially one with a door instead of a WSM or Pit Barrel.

"Feed the love"

Peace

1. What rub did you use?
2. How do you like the vertical smoker?

Good morning! I am using Bad Bones Divine Swine rub. It is made near me in Happy Valley Oregon and sold around the area. It is a brown sugar base with a bunch of secret herbs and spices. I really like the flavor profile. I've been focusing on homemade sauces right now and will start playing with my own rubs this winter.

My MasterBuilt vertical is a cheapie that has been extensively modified into a very nice smoking unit. It is one of those rare harebrained schemes that actually works! I would love to have a stick burner, but don't have the space for it. I am looking at one under utilized spot in the yard that could host a shed however...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky