Weber top for UDS question!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin mama

Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Fenton, MO
I'm in the process of building my second UDS.  I have a Weber Kettle lid that I've modified to fit on top.  Do I need to drill any more exhaust holes on the lid?  Today I put the Weber lid on my existing UDS while I was smoking and my temps kept dropping.  I couldn't seem to keep the temp regulated at all. When I'd open all the intakes valves I could get the temp up, but as I'd start closing them it just would never stabilize.  Any help is appreciated!

Interesting question. 

It would seem to me that the exhaust vent in a Weber lid would be sufficient, but I'm no UDS expert.

For normal smoking temps they're fine, and I keep them wide open.

But I find the exhaust vents not sufficient for high temp cooks, like doing chicken at 350F, for instance.  I have to crack the lid open to let the drum breathe.

I know some 22" WSM owners add additional vents on the lid for this very reason.

Carbon brings up a good point. What temps were you trying to maintain? I would think it would be fine if you were shooting for around 225 degrees but anything is possible. I have the opposite problem with my lid I just got to work. Mine wants to get much hotter than my standard lid. I am guessing its because it has 7-10 small holes that were made for holding grates on the charcoal grill. I  am going to try and plug them on my next smoke and see if I can maintain lower temps. I finally got around to fitting my dome lid on my last smoke so that was  my first run with it and I was trying to maintain 225 but it kept wanting to climb to around 275. I finally had  to close my exhaust a bit then I could maintain lower temps. I am hoping that by plugging all of those holes I will be  fine but I guess I will have to wait and see. It sure is nice having all of that extra room on the top rack with that dome lid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky