Weber Smokey Mountain top temps?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binxpercy

Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all! I like smoking my chicken at around 325-350 sometimes. Will the WSM get me that high? I got an 18” a while back but have only done really low and slow pork and chicken on it…. And I’m planning for bbq chicken for a party this weekend and I could use the WSM’s capacity. Anyway… thoughts?

Hi all! I like smoking my chicken at around 325-350 sometimes. Will the WSM get me that high? I got an 18” a while back but have only done really low and slow pork and chicken on it…. And I’m planning for bbq chicken for a party this weekend and I could use the WSM’s capacity. Anyway… thoughts?
Yup, you can get it up to 325-350 without any problems. I maxed out the thermometer on my WSM once

Reactions: binxpercy
I have a 22" WSM, and although I've never tried to get my temps up that high(at-least not that I can remember). I believe it's possible it you have the charcoal ring 3/4s loaded with lit coals. Lump would get it hotter. Also you may want to remove the water pan or diffuser plate to allow for direct heat. Vents top and bottom would be fully open obviously. If your using the lower rack make sure you have a set of tongs that can easily reach it.

Chris

+1 above. 22" here. Easy to get 325°F+ for poultry. And don't sweat it if it goes higher. Poultry likes high heat.

One thing I've learned is face the the breast on the opposite side of the top vent. The side under the vent will be hotter due to airflow through the WSM (tested by me). By placing the breast on the opposite side of the top vent, the more forgiving dark meat will get the higher heat so you don't overcook and dry out the breast.

Guessing you just loaded more lit coals in, like gmc2003 suggested?
Yea, filled 3/4 with lit coals, lump not briquettes, all vents open to the max and no water in the bowl. That’s how I seasoned/burned off the excess chemicals off of mine. I know it’s a bit different with meat in there but I maxed out the thermometer and was definitely above 400 so even with it loaded it shouldn’t be a problem

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky