Weber Q issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
My trusty Weber Q1000 just can't produce a decent flame anymore.Its an original with not one part ever replaced on it.

Set on high flame it produces such a weak flame the whole burner doesn't even stay lit.

Is this a burner and/or regulator issue(s)?If so is it worth it to replace parts or just go new?This little grill has been through so many Maiden and Nascar tailgates its like part of the family.

Try pressure washing it, mine was having a similar issue, I took it through one of the self serve car washes with the hand wand, cleaned it up and its back to like new.
I do think grease gets built up on the burner ports and stops them up. Also may try a second tank as I have had some tank exchanges that where just bad.

Are you using the small tanks or a 20 lb tank?

If it's the 20 lb there is a safety valve as part of the tank valve. Sometimes it sticks and only allows enough flame to see it. The cure is to turn off the grill control and then the tank. Bang the tank down on something solid a few times. Then very slowly open the tank valve and try to light as usual. It might take another try or two. If all else fails go exchange the tank.

Reactions: mike243
Norm , it could be the safety valve on the tank . If the tank valve was opened to fast , or when it was not hooked up it will stop the high rate of flow of the gas . Like said in post #3 .
Turn off all burners .
Shut off the tank
Disconnect the hose from the tank .
Wait a minute or two , then reconnect .
Open tanks slowly .

Reactions: mike243
How longs it been since it was used? Venturi tunes partially plugged by spider or nest? That could block enough gas to have poor flame.

Ryan

What I was going to suggest. Also, I've had the holes on the burner plug up before. Take a small pick or drill bit and clear them.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I've had my Weber Q1000 since they came out. And if it is in good shape I would repair it. Love mine.

My trusty Weber Q1000 just can't produce a decent flame anymore.Its an original with not one part ever replaced on it.

Set on high flame it produces such a weak flame the whole burner doesn't even stay lit.

Is this a burner and/or regulator issue(s)?If so is it worth it to replace parts or just go new?This little grill has been through so many Maiden and Nascar tailgates its like part of the family.
In order of cost: wire brush burner to make sure holes aren't plugged, but usually only one or two get constipated. next look to see how much, or if you can buy new regulator. I'd love to see one of those set out for bulk trash because i would rebuild, . I was too tight to buy one when I got my Charbroil x-200 for the boats and quick hot sears like skirt steak.

My Q320 is the full size, original, from 2010.
It has Hot & not so Hot Spots since the first couple years.
I poked a paper clip through all the holes that it was possible, but that didn't help.
There are a few that are smaller than the rest, so the only way to fix that, I guess would be with a Drill bit in a Drill. However I never got around to it.
I never liked the way the things is designed, having one control for the perimeter, and one control for one pipe across the center. It would be much better to have a control for each Half.
Other than that, it's a Great Grill---Built nice & solid.

Bear

Sorry about responding so late but I've got a lot going on and haven't had the time to get back to this.

Instead of replying to all the individual responses I'll just reply with what I've done.The grill is my primary and gets used at least three times a week.

The very first thing I did was inspect for spider web/nest.Nothing.

I've always been pretty good about giving the grill a good basic cleaning when the crud starts to build up,I do power wash once/twice a year.

I've tried two different 20lb tanks and a new portable cylinder to no avail.Both 20lbers were tried on the neighbors grill and worked fine.

I've also cleaned out all the holes on the burner to no avail also.

Might be time to start pricing out parts.

Last edited:
You may want to reach out to Weber. I find them to be pretty responsive and helpful.

I’m with Brikenhandle on this one. We had a gas fireplace years ago ina different house and when it was installed, the guys said spiders love gas lines and will gunk them up. I’ve noticed it was my gas grill, usually 1-2 times a year. Disconnecting the hoses and giving them a once-over does the trick.

All the suggestions above sound like good possibilities. I recently cleaned my gasser and noted the some larger orange flames on a couple of the burner tubes. Soon as the weather allows Im gonna clean these out and check the air ports for clogs. its over 10 years old and I have never dome more than scraping out the grease and stuff that fall through. the tubes may be toast, but the replacements are not much and an easy fix too.

Good deal . I've seen the burners peel on the inside and block the flow . Look ok from the outside .
So what's cookin ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky