Weber Kettle 22" ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been cooking low and slow with my gas performer for 11-12 years , it will snuff out the coals so not sure why it wouldn’t cook low for some folks

Reactions: chopsaw
yeah I would love even a basic 26", I don't think I have ever seen one on FB marketplace.
I found one on CL or FB that had a rotisserie with it . Played phone tag with the guy for a couple weeks , then just bought a new one . 2 days after I got it the guy called me back saying he was out of town . I should have bought it anyway .
My 22" performer gets used for grilling and high temps , along with the spinner now .
26 is for long smokes .
That dang SmokeFire makes great food easy so it had me spoiled .
I just spun a bone and rolled turkey breast last Sunday . Live fire is way more fun without a doubt .

Reactions: clifish
I think a bigger issue is they don't keep them clean . Gunk dries on the bottom and when they force the vanes over it , it bends them upward and they no longer seal like they should .
Wait!!!! You gotta clean 'em?!?!?! LOL!
Bout every 3rd or 4th cook mine gets a good scraping. Depends on what i've been cooking.

Jim

Yup . I keep a 10 gallon galvanized trash can with a locking lid back there with 2 sizes of scrappers and a paint brush . Some Mothers car wax for the lid and table .
Performer is an '06 . Still have the original cover too .
Cleans up pretty nice .
1677176706308.jpeg

I found one on CL or FB that had a rotisserie with it . Played phone tag with the guy for a couple weeks , then just bought a new one . 2 days after I got it the guy called me back saying he was out of town . I should have bought it anyway .
My 22" performer gets used for grilling and high temps , along with the spinner now .
26 is for long smokes .
That dang SmokeFire makes great food easy so it had me spoiled .
I just spun a bone and rolled turkey breast last Sunday . Live fire is way more fun without a doubt .
Same with the MB800, kettles are for when I want to feel like I am doing something.

I made a drip tray out of a large pizza pan. I like it not only because it keeps the bottom of the Kettle cleaner, but it redirects air flow up through the bottom of the SnS.

Also, when using the vortex, I like to line the charcoal grate with foil and cut out the center portion where the vortex sits. It not only contains drippings, but it redirects air flow up through the vortex. I could never find a pizza pan large enough to make something permanent.

I know this is a 22 thread but I think I stumbled on a 26" on FB local asking $50 and it has been a while listed. Only 3 small pics, visually can you tell the difference from a 22 to a 26 or is just going there with a tape measure?

All the bells and whistles are nice, but in the end the most important thing is. They cook the same. From the basic original to premium deluxe. My 22" kettle is a roadside find. I got it for under 20.00 I believe( to long ago to remember). It has the ash pan. My 26" was purchased new for around 300.00. It has the ash catcher. Personally since I'm not concerned about the falling ashes I like the easability of the pan over the catcher. The 22" also has the hook lid which works great. The 26" has the slide-aside bail which is also great because of the weight and size of the lid. If your cooking on a patio, deck, or near a house I'd go with the ash catcher. If your out in an open yard then the pan is easier to use. Especially if you have arthritis in your hands.

As for the tables and ignition systems. It's all what you want to pay for. They aren't needed, but come in handy. I have a small table I keep near my kettles so I don't need the weber attached tables, and I'm fine with using starter cubes and a charcoal starter to get my kettles fired up. Especially since I store the kettles in my garage when they aren't in use. So I save space.

Chris

I know this is a 22 thread but I think I stumbled on a 26" on FB local asking $50 and it has been a while listed. Only 3 small pics, visually can you tell the difference from a 22 to a 26 or is just going there with a tape measure?

From one pic maybe not, but look at the wheels. The 26" has taller wheels which may be noticeable.

1677253274437.png

Last edited:
  • Love
From one pic maybe not, but look at the wheels. The 26" has taller wheels which may be noticeable.

View attachment 658562
I am betting it is a 22". It is not far so I will take a look, If it is a 22 then I will just low ball like $20. At least it has the ash catcher and hinged grate. All I need is a vortex (I will buy the real one this time as I found out Justin the manufacturer is in the next town over) I won't get another spinner as I can just bring the other one home from PA.
1677254016747.png

1677254049967.png

I am betting it is a 22". It is not far so I will take a look, If it is a 22 then I will just low ball like $20. At least it has the ash catcher and hinged grate. All I need is a vortex (I will buy the real one this time as I found out Justin the manufacturer is in the next town over) I won't get another spinner as I can just bring the other one home from PA.
View attachment 658565
View attachment 658566

Its difficult to tell, but I'm like you - that looks like a 22" to me...but even if it is, it's a bargain. Even more so if you can dicker him down.

And if it's a 26" at that price, I'd jump on it quick before someone beats you to it!

Red

looking at the pic the orientation of the vent to the handle is different than both of yours, I don't even see a temp gauge

Its difficult to tell, but I'm like you - that looks like a 22" to me...but even if it is, it's a bargain. Even more so if you can dicker him down.

And if it's a 26" at that price, I'd jump on it quick before someone beats you to it!

Red
it has been listed for 16 weeks, he has did not mention size in the ad but did respond with that it is a 26" I don't think so....for cheap I will still get it.

Looking at the support between the legs. It appears to be a 22", but I'm not totally positive. Also my 26" doesn't have two handles on kettle part, and has the slide aside bail. I'd say it's a 22"

Chris

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky