Web cam as a smoking gadget

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oregonrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
I bought a WebCam several years ago. It has multiple uses. I’ve used it to monitor my dog, I placed it the crawlspace of my house to see if I had rats… I use it to make sure that my smoker is still blowing smoke. Anybody else?
I know this is an odd angle. And just to explain, I have the WebCam mounted on the shelf of my pellet smoker, and it’s aimed up. The thing on the left is a collapsed umbrella, and above is the soffit of my house and the cover of my deck.

Attachments

• D03EEA9A-E17A-4B69-A94D-8A90FA54D22A.png
    D03EEA9A-E17A-4B69-A94D-8A90FA54D22A.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 45
Anybody else?
Funny, I’ve been pondering adding an outdoor camera to my HomeKit system for this very purpose! I can monitor temps remotely, but it would cause less beer interruption to be able to see the smoke and the absence of flames. BBQ Cam? Smoker Cam? It would also be useful to see if the squirrels are using the smoker at night to stay warm…

I have Blink camera system with 5 camera's , been known to set 1 in front of my pellet smoker where I can see the temps , I have only had 1-2 pellet bridges over the years that I caught quickly. The PB has been great for a set and forget cooker, I bought in before they started charging monthly.

We have a six camera system set-up at our house. One of which covers my smoking area. Although I've never used it to spy on my smokers. They're pretty well behaved. LOL

Chris

Wyze cameras are very affordable and easy to use. Around 30 bucks and you can setup alerts and monitor from anywhere as long as you have a internet connection.

Here is the next one im going to try. Its a has pan and tilt in it and is outdoor rated as well. https://amzn.to/3SibZZo

Last edited:
I bought a WebCam several years ago. It has multiple uses. I’ve used it to monitor my dog, I placed it the crawlspace of my house to see if I had rats… I use it to make sure that my smoker is still blowing smoke. Anybody else?
I know this is an odd angle. And just to explain, I have the WebCam mounted on the shelf of my pellet smoker, and it’s aimed up. The thing on the left is a collapsed umbrella, and above is the soffit of my house and the cover of my deck.
I put mine inside my walkin cooler to make sure the coils dont freeze up.,I also use a cheap game camera when I am making sausage and have it take a picture every 3 minutes so if I post something here I have the pictures since a lot of times its just me and my hands are tied up or dirty.. I used to record video of the sausage making and when you play it back its pretty neat to hear the "table talk" that goes on especially later in the day.

HT

With the smoker being out by the shop in the backyard, I use a Adorcam camera with phone ap to help me keep an eye on things.

Wyze cameras are very affordable and easy to use. Around 3 bucks and you can setup alerts and monitor from anywhere as long as you have a internet connection.

Here is the next one im going to try. Its a has pan and tilt in it and is outdoor rated as well. https://amzn.to/3SibZZo
I have Wyze cams at the PA house, outdoors and indoors. The pan option is cool. What is the $3 for? is that per camera?

I have a spare so maybe use it for the smoker?

I rely on smoke tubes for several hours at the beginning of my cooks. Sometimes they go out. I mostly rely on the camera during cold smokes.

I have Wyze cams at the PA house, outdoors and indoors. The pan option is cool. What is the $3 for? is that per camera?

I have a spare so maybe use it for the smoker?
Should have been 30

Great idea, I won a backup camera many yrs ago. Have only used to find things in confined space. Smoker gets tucked around corner out of view sometimes to avoid wind. Usually gotta go out to check for smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky