water pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Bull

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
just ordered the rt700 anyone use a water pan for smoking with these? is it necessary? I always used one with stick burners....

I don't own a pellet grill, but I use a water pan in all 4 of my smokers, unless I'm cold smoking.
But a lot of guys don't, so it really boils down to personal choice. I'd try it both ways & see if you want to use one or not.
Al

Like Al said it's more of a personal choice. Try it both ways and see which works best for you. I don't use one in my WSM.

Chris

Water pans do not help with meat drying out. You can dry out meat submerged in braising liquid. It is all about meat quality, temp, and time.

I used a water pan on my BGE for years. I asked the same question you did here on the board and got the same responses. So, I haven’t used a water pan for any of my cooks on my Memphis Pro. What I have found is that the surface of the meat seems to dry out faster without the water pan, so misting or mopping has been important to keep from A lot of cracking on the surface.

Not sure how your pellet grill is configured, but it’s hard to find a good place for a pan on the Pro. But, experiment! I always tell the wife I’m putting a ‘test rack’ on. The results of the test always seem to turn out tasty.

Reactions: The Bull
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky