Water leaking from the back left side of MES 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

english-bulldog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Alright, I have been smoking for the last 4.5hrs.

I noticed that some water is comming out of the back of the unit, where it is riveted.

Is this normal?

The drip pan is almost empty.

Here is where it was leaking.  It is sitting onto of a piece of wood.

I slid it a bit so you can see the water.

Thanks.

(I just don't want everything to rust inside of the case.)

Last edited:
Could be that the cold air & the hot smoker, and whatever your smoking is making condensation form someplace that is running down the back wall and maybe in between walls, and coming out at the bottom.

Do you have water in the pan?

You didn't include where you are from in you bios. Are you in a cold area?

Isn't that coming out of the drain hole?

Bear

Last edited:
I am from thornton colorado.

I do have a water pan with 2 cups of water (less I am sure now).

It is not too cold, about 65F right now.

The water is not comming out of the drain hole, it is comming out of the back of the unit, between the galvanized steel (or whatever metal it is) and the black case.

Out of 3 uses, this is the first time this has happend.

Erick.
Could be that the cold air & the hot smoker, and whatever your smoking is making condensation form someplace that is running down the back wall and maybe in between walls, and coming out at the bottom.

Do you have water in the pan?

You didn't include where you are from in you bios. Are you in a cold area?

Isn't that coming out of the drain hole?

Bear

I am from thornton colorado.

I do have a water pan with 2 cups of water (less I am sure now).

It is not too cold, about 65F right now.

The water is not comming out of the drain hole, it is comming out of the back of the unit, between the galvanized steel (or whatever metal it is) and the black case.

Out of 3 uses, this is the first time this has happend.

Erick.

Did you leave the smoker outside uncovered.

If so this could be just moisture that tends to make its way into the back of the unit.

In between the back riveted on panel and the unit itself. There is a small gap on the top of the unit that allows this to happen.

Not a big deal. I would get a cover for your smoker to help prevent this.

I had the same issue before i started covering mine. After awhile I just brought mine in to the garage for storage.

Also if your unit is not leveled the drain pain will drain at other spots beside the hole.

Thanks guys.

It was level.

I do keep it inside, a warm dry area.

I will update if it happens again.

Thanks.

One thing that I have noticed is that sometimes the stuff coming out of the drip tube doesn't go into the catch pan on the back, but wicks around to under the unit.  Because of that I got into the habit of putting a piece of aluminum foil underneath.

Your problem is a strange one, first time I have seen this kind of problem posted here at SMF.  The MES at least the older ones are all rivet & press/fold construction.  You might have got a defective unit where the seam inside isn't tight.  You MES sounds like it should still be under warranty, call Masterbuilt and they may send you a new cabinet.

Try a 3 or 4 hour dry out with just the heat element on set at 270º.  Then on your next use before you add water or food, preheat for a good solid hour, this will allow the metal to expand and hopefully the joint/seam to hopefully be a little tighter.  If the outdoor ambient is below 40º do a longer preheat.  Insert your water & meat after preheat and check for leaks, during your smoke.  Hopefully you won't have any leaks, when your finished with the smoke take out the drain pan and wipe out the bottom of the smoker, if you have no water you should be good.

Be sure to be careful and not dump/tip the water pan when inserting the water pan or when removing racks.

Lets us know what happens...

One other thing:

You might already do this, but I always preheat my water for the water pan. I put it in a microwave safe pitcher, bring it to boil, and then take it out & pour it into the water pan.

It keeps your smoker from having to heat the water, and it avoids the clash between hot & cold.

Bear

Gotta be some sort of condensation.....

I would try your next smoke without any water in the pan.  It's a personal preference, and I prefer NOT to use water.  It serves a dual purpose in your smoker, a heat sink and adds moisture to the cabinet while smoking.  I have no issue with lack of moisture when I smoke without water in the pan.  I own a 40" MES with a 1200 watt element for quick heat ups and recovery.  Some guys substitute sand for water as a heat sink, in their smokers.

Try it both ways and see what happens.

Todd

Alright, I contacted amazon, and told them I had water leaking, so they next day aired me another unit.

I am pre seasoning it right now.

Gonna use Cherry wood.

Darryl sent me replacement smoke box( is on the way).

Thanks guys.

My return is also extended another 30 day incase anything happens to this unit.

Last edited:
I have to send the other one back, that would be crazy if they let people keep defective item, they would go broke.

They just have you print out a prepaid shipping slip, just pack it back up and drop it off, or ask for a call tag(might need to do some ass chewing).

The one you got.

I guess it does not smoke unless it is cold outside.

Contact MBTechguy, send him a PM.
Which model has the issue with the smoke box?  Who do I contact if I need a new box?

Make sure it is setting flat and level and that you bottom tray is in just right to line up the drain hole

I had the water leaking issue also.  On mine its condensation from smoking in sub 45F weather.  The MES30 is great.

I wonder if it was the tube (cracked or not long enough)

But again how did water get into the bottom unless it was spilled. The picture seems to show that the so called water was not clear therefore it might be juices. Might try a catch pan directly under the meat preventing it from reaching the bottom drain pan and no water added. This way if no more liquid comes out you would know that it was coming from the cooking meat.

I wonder if it was the tube (cracked or not long enough)

But again how did water get into the bottom unless it was spilled. The picture seems to show that the so called water was not clear therefore it might be juices. Might try a catch pan directly under the meat preventing it from reaching the bottom drain pan and no water added. This way if no more liquid comes out you would know that it was coming from the cooking meat.
Very hard to say at this point what was going on since this thread was started over 5 years ago. I have a MES 30 Gen 1 and have never had that problem. Bearcarver talked about warming the water before pouring it into the water pan. That again shows how old this thread is since Bear hasn't put any water in the water pan for at least 3 years. I leave the water pan empty and foiled over.

I recently had 4 small black puddles on the garage floor each maybe 3 inches across and near each corner of my MES 30. It was cold outside - around 30F - so I assumed it was just condensation.I used a pan for my chicken juices and didn't add water so that was pretty much the only explanation.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky