Wasting $ on a REVERSE type SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killerpits

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Ft Worth, Texas
Hope To not offend anyone, but I've built all types of smokers and the placement of the intakes and outakes are all you need to know how to do. To keep even temperature across your pit and to also be able to adjust for different temps across your pit. Here is a picture of a backyard pit I have doing just that built the conventional way using 1/4" cold rolled carbon steel. 24" diameter.

I suppose if you were to lower the chimney outtake to the bottom of the opposite side of the firebox, it would do the essentially the same thing as a reverse flow?

Nice rig...101 ways to cook an Egg or build a Smoker...JJ

Nice, thanks for sharing. We love food and food for thought. 
45.gif

Yes I agree. I just wanted to share what I have found out. I hope this helps others that are trying to decide if they want to go conventional or reverse. I understand there is other opinions. I look forward to hearing them.

I'm glad I wasted my money on my reverse flow I like it and as was said to each their own

Yea I'm not meaning to judge people for it the post I put up isn't the way I meant to say it. But if anyone is doing a reverse type to obtain even temperature across the pit. I'm just trying to let it be known it can be done the conventional way by getting the airflow correct.

Ive always wanted to do a build as you describe, but always had two concerns;

With such a low exhaust pipe, the stail air and moisture build up on the top inside of the CC might give the food too strong a flavor for my taste.

And with the firebox dumping into the CC so close to the food I wonder if not only would it brown the meat heavily on one side , but also allow ash and soot onto the meat , more so than other styles of cookers

If you raise the exhaust stack up to fix the first concern, now your dumping all your heat, making it very inefficient due to no mass absorbing the heat before it can exit.

Same if you try to divert the air flow up and over the meat to keep from browning or sooting it up.

Just my concerns with that style cooker. Like I said, Ive never played with building one ....yet.

Next virgin 250 gallon tank I can get will be turning into something like this. I want to collect the heat lost off the top of the firebox , helping it be more efficient . Also need it to be easier to clean out that a reverse flow thats why the pipe instead of plate.

Ive always wanted to do a build as you describe, but always had two concerns;

With such a low exhaust pipe, the stail air and moisture build up on the top inside of the CC might give the food too strong a flavor for my taste.

And with the firebox dumping into the CC so close to the food I wonder if not only would it brown the meat heavily on one side , but also allow ash and soot onto the meat , more so than other styles of cookers
If you raise the exhaust stack up to fix the first concern, now your dumping all your heat, making it very inefficient due to no mass absorbing the heat before it can exit.

Same if you try to divert the air flow up and over the meat to keep from browning or sooting it up.

Just my concerns with that style cooker. Like I said, Ive never played with building one ....yet.

To answer your question. The moisture doesn't build up any more than any other type smoker. And the deflector that is installed keeps any direct heat off the grate. I will post a picture next time I fire it up with biscuits all over so everyone can see how even temp it is. Also ash has never been a problem. Since I do not cook on it with the dampers open very much to keep the temp down this doesn't cause a really strong vacuum.

The type smokers I build to test this on are built to where if I close the dampers it will extinguish the fire. This also allows me to control the amount of wood I burn.

Have you ever tried recessing the firebox partially under the CC and cutting the hole in the top of the firebox so the air goes straight up into the CC? I always wondered if that would work better on those jambo style cookers

I'll be using this smoker in a couple of weeks at a competition. Look forward to getting some judges opinions on how the food taste off of it. So far family and friends all say it's great. If you ever try to build one like this. I promise you won't be disappointed.

No the way I'm doing it is to use the heat that rises as it enters the fire pit and is deflected towards the top of the pit as it travels to the other side the exhaust pipe that is cut out just below the rack. pulls the heat and smoke downward.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky