Wanted spare ribs , ended up with pork cushion .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah I did it with "chunks" one time. Now I just do a course grind and call it done. Tastes the same.....
Exactly . I have done other things like that , but I like this with a fine texture .

What curing method did you use ?
Hi chopsaw , I'm using the same method that disco disco has the instructions for. Dry cure with sugar and salt in the fridge. I have been putting it off for awhile now ( little nervous ) . As it is the first time. But following it so far to a "T" as i have a problem and like to change things up sometimes, but thought do it right at least the first time. lol

David

. Dry cure with sugar and salt in the fridge.
I have looked at his method , but not sure right now exactly what it is . I think he used to do TQ , but changed it up .

As it is the first time. But following it so far to a "T" as i have a problem and like to change things up sometimes, but thought do it right at least the first time. lol
When doing curing , follow it as is the first time . Some parts can't be changed .The thing about doing this at the start , is it makes you nervous . I was there when I started . That's a good thing though . Keeps you from making yourself or someone else sick . Follow his lead , and if you have concerns just ask someone .
I learned it all here too . They teach a safe way to do it . It's second nature for me now .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
At some point I am going to do Dave’s method with a Krakowska. Dave’s ham is my only ham I’ll make now. So dang good. But I think that flavor with added spices will make a great Krakow sausage. They are delicious anyway but this could make them better.

I think he used to do TQ , but changed it up .
Yes i looked back at his older methods and he did use Tender Quick but now Cure #1 powder, that is what i went with, brown sugar and kosher salt and cure #1.
Will see , flip and rub them ( wow does not sound right) every day in fridge. for 13 days , than dry, rest in fridge over night, than smoke etc

Yes the amount of Cure #1 cant be changed with the weight of the meat, but sugar and salt can, but this time following disco disco 's latest method exact

Like you said , love this place for all the helping hands and knowledge that is here and offered by all
Thank you

David

DSC_2629.JPG DSC_2630.JPG DSC_2631.JPG

Reactions: chopsaw
Most Excellent looking sausage Rich.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
At some point I am going to do Dave’s method with a Krakowska. Dave’s ham is my only ham I’ll make now.
I did Krakow using Marianski's formula . It was fantastic . I think the phosphate method might be to moist for the way I like Krakow .
Update on the summer sausage I did here . After a few more days in the fridge , it taste just like the ham . It's really good . I left the other chub in the bag . Gonna cut into it soon . Try that . I agree on the ham .

Most Excellent looking sausage Rich.
Thanks Chris . I'll be smoking the hams next week .

Reactions: gmc2003
I use the same Marianski recipe for Krakow. I have to be under the radar about though because friends and family make 10# disappear and I do mean fast. I have always added phosphate to though just as I do my 5” bologna chubs. I wouldn’t make it any other way.

Dang dude Nice job. I like the sacks, they are so nice to stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky