WANTED: information on adding supplemental heat to a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
sorry no pics yet. The thinking is to weld a solid piece of sheet metal to close off  the top inside of  the 275 gallon tank above the door to block off the unused space from heat and smoke and hopefully concentrating it more in the cook chamber where the meat is located. kind of like the plate welded in for the reverse flow but solid all the accross and on the top of the tank.

Well, lets start a conversation about the tank then.  How thick is the skin on that thing, and we need to confirm the size and shape of the tank before we can really start fine tuning a design. Have you thought about going with a propane tank instead?   How cold does it get in Ohio?

There are plenty of people on here with some great ideals and knowledge that can help you build an awsome pit, but they are picture whores and once you start posting some , your thread is going to come alive.

The tank is the standard 275 gallon oil tank used for heating oil for homes. I am going to have to take pics as I work on it. The tank is approx 27" deep 60" long and can't recall the height.. I have two horizontal doors (one opens up and the other down)that combine for a total door opening of 22.5" X 54" . I do not know the tank thickness guage but welds nicely using a Lincoln SP200 225 amp mig welder with .035 wire. Sorry that I can't have more accurate details due to I am researching this project from work lol

This is the tank I have and looks of what I am planning on building. The doors and chimney location is the same but the firebox will be larger and meet the Feldon Calculator. The area I am talking about is above the top door and welding a ceiling to keep heat and smoke down where the meat is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky