Walmart picnic shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I went to Walmart and bought 3 picnic shoulder roasts last Saturday. They looked pretty good, I just didn't want to trek over to Sam's, as it is about 25 minutes further down the road. BIG MISTAKE!

I have gotten the picnic shoulders at Walmart in the past and never had a problem. I checked the expiration date on these and they were to be used by 8/17/12. Got home and my buddy opened the first one to start prepping the meat and he made a noise. It is not unusual for him to make noises of approval, so I stepped over to see what he was ooohhh'ing about. I got my face over the sink and about threw up! I asked him if he messed himself, thinking that the "ooohhh" was from a gaseous release since it stunk so bad. He hadn't, it was the meat!!! I have never smelled any meat that was that raunchy. It literally smelled like a baby had a seriously messy diaper! He said that handling the meat, it felt somewhat slimy. I had him put the shoulder back into a Walmart bag, bagged up the other 2 unopened and we headed back to Walmart to see what they would do.

Went up to customer service and explained to the nice lady that was behind the counter that we went to use this meant and what it smelled like. She got a disgusted look on her face, wrinkled her nose (I think she caught a whiff of the meat), and promptly refunded my money. I told her that would be the last time I purchase picnic roasts from Walmart. We headed for Sam's Club and bought a couple 2-packs of Boston Butt. Took them home and they had no foul smell to them.

I am guessing that what may have happened is someone put the meat in their cart then later decided they didn't want it, so they dropped it onto a shelf somewhere and some brilliant idiot picked it up and placed it back into the meat case to be nice. The color was fine, but the meat was not! I really wish that they had some kind of a device on the packages of meat to show if the temperature of the meat had ever fallen below a certain temp. Kind of like at work when we get servers shipped to us, they have these little level thingies that show red if the package was ever dropped or turned over.

I just had to vent a little.

Last edited:
Dude, I gagged just reading this...glad you got some good stuff in the end. I agree that a sensor would be nice on the meat, but I'd rather just go to a butcher that I trust. Walmart, I don't trust.

I got two walmart stories,
One time I got some ribs. Got home open it and its was bad.
another time grab a bag of chicken got to the counter,the cashier
Pick the bag of chicken up and she smell it told me it was bad.
Guess i was in to big of a hurry and didn't smell that it was bad.
She save me a trip back to walmart .

I was prepping for a small catering gig and was running short on time and I passed a WM on the way home. Picked up 3 Pork Butts and the same thing with all 3 packages. Took them back to exchange with a cooler and a knife in the car this time - cut them open and the same thing. I will never buy meat from WM again 

I bought a pack of Baby Back Ribs like that except I was luckier than you......I just gagged like a maggot for a few minutes!

Worked as a Grocery Clerk for 2 years as a Teen...Would find packs of Meat all the time in random places. If on regular shelves we tossed it but if Meat found in the Dairy or Frozen case, it went back. If the customer decided not to take Meat or other Cold items at the Register, changed mind or lack of funds, there would frequently be a delay before they went back on busy weekends...Whom ever could be spared would check with each Cashier every 30-60 minutes for Cold Items, load up a cart and all went back in one pass. The only exception was Frozen Food, it went back right away...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky