Walmart cheap-o.... is crap-o!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Ugh... I'm so tired of not having thermo's that work. I did a smoke over the weekend and tested five of my six thermo's and NONE of them were right. Did the boil test. They should come up to 212 right? They were all over the place ranging between 178 and 245. I don't know if this worked... In fact, I'm pretty sure it didn't, but what I tried to do was make note of what it was reading, do the math and make a mental adjustment. However, when I pulled my brisket it said the temp was only 154 but it was done. I posted q-view and details of it in the beef section. I have six of the same brand. You would think I would have stopped buying them at some point. The thing is, I bought two. Then went back and bought four more. At first they work but in 4 - 5 smokes they get off. It seems like there ought to be one that you could recalibrate. Do the high dollar ones do that? 

Is it me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have seen here where others use this one just fine. Here's the one I'm talking about:

4a2b2f3c_Wallyworldcheapo.jpg

My maverick 732 is a year and half old. Smoke every weekend with lots of 12 + hours smoke.
has always work without any problems. Just check it few weeks ago in water and was within few degrees.

I still use my original Maverick from my 1st shipment in December 2010

Same probes too!

I have 2 of those same thermos...I only used them once so far in my smoker. So far so good with them.

I just ordered my Maverick 732 from Todd today...can't wait to get it! Free shipping right now through Todd!

Sounds like I need to be buying a Maverick.

Jack... I feel like I should know who Todd is but I don't? Did I miss something? Show me the way man... show me the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky