Wagyu Beef Shoulder Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
I picked up this beef shoulder roast from Costco the other day. I was thinking about smoking and then pan finishing for either sliced or pulled beef. What are your thoughts? Do you think there's enough fat for the higher finishing temps? Any specific techniques you'd recommend?

chuck1.jpg

chuck2.jpg

I think it's nicely marbled and should cook quite well. When I say nicely marbled I mean in relation to the average shoulder roast, but this is American Wagyu.
I'd say to treat it like Prime Rib, but it appears to be cut like a Chuck roast.
If it was mine, I'd dry brine with salt, crust with herbs and spices, hot smoke at 275° to 120° IT and reverse sear to 130° IT.
Tent with foil and let it rest.
Slice thin across the grain.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks Chile. I've no experience with Wagyu. So you think cooking a 2" thick shoulder to medium rare will be tender enough?

My first method is not going to be real tender.
It would slightly chewy but with real nice flavor much like many cuts of venison.
That's how I'd do it for slicing.

That or treat it like any other pot roast and braise it in the oven or crockpot.
You could do a low temp smoke beforehand for flavor, then sear it and braise.
Maybe three hours at 300° and should be pull apart tender.
This is exactly how I'll be cooking a couple of Chucks today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky