Vortex Grilled Chicken.... Help Needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greggj

Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello,

As the title states, I need some help....

I am a recent Kettle / Vortex owner. I heard that the chicken is excellent using the Vortex. I found many pictures videos and tutorials on wings but, nothing on a whole bird. I was wondering do you invert the vortex and place the bird directly over it or do you use the convection aspect place it on the side of the grill and use indirect heat? Also do you let is sit in one place the entire time or rotate/move it in the grill. I am worried that the bird will get burnt if i place it too close or directly over the vortex.

Any help would be much appreciated. I plan on steak sat and giving the bird a go on sunday...

Couple of things - first don't put the whole chicken or any chicken directly over the Vortex. It will burn. You want crispy chicken skin, but not that crispy.

For a whole chicken I would invert the vortex and use a beer can or a chicken stand. It would also be a good idea to put a disposable pie pan in the Vortex and under the chicken. Surround the Vortex with unlit charcoal and add few chunks of your favorite wood. Then spread a lit chimney of charcoal on top of the unlit. That would be my preferred way.

Another way would be to put the Vortex small side up and over to one side of your kettle. Fire it up with a chimney of lit charcoal and put the chicken lying flat(breast side up) of the opposite side of the grill. You'll have to spin the chicken 180* every 15min. or so to ensure both sides finish at the same time.

Enjoy. If you have any other questions fire away.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was worried about placing it directly over the vortex. Thanks for the info, it certainly helps. I will be sure to post some pics, if it is a success... :-)

If your on Facebook, here is a group of over 10K members, and all we talk is Vortex!
www.facebook.com/groups/VortexBBQ

BuffaloWingVortexTatonkaDustTake3Cropped.jpg

Reactions: greggj
I definitely second the beer can method with the vortex for a whole chicken. If you have the charcoal baskets you can use them on either side of the grill and put the chicken in the center for a really good indirect cook as well. I know that produces a wonderful juicy chicken from first hand experience. If you only have the vortex then the vertical position for the chicken is the way to go. Of course the chicken does need to go down into the inverted vortex surrounded by charcoal. I am betting you are going to be super happy with your results. Good luck and enjoy that delicious chicken.

G

Thanks for all the assistance..... I appreciate it.

I just came back from our local sams club. They were completely sold out of all chicken (whole birds and breasts) they did have 3 packages of wings so I grabbed 1 of them. Also, they were completely out of Eggs and Paper products. People are going nuts over COVID 19.

However, I was able to grab 2 beautiful Prime Rib Eyes as a consolation prize.... :-) My wife is going to swing by the local grocer to see if there are any chickens so not all hope is lost.....

Thanks for all the assistance..... I appreciate it.

I just came back from our local sams club. They were completely sold out of all chicken (whole birds and breasts) they did have 3 packages of wings so I grabbed 1 of them. Also, they were completely out of Eggs and Paper products. People are going nuts over COVID 19.

However, I was able to grab 2 beautiful Prime Rib Eyes as a consolation prize.... :-) My wife is going to swing by the local grocer to see if there are any chickens so not all hope is lost.....
The only thing sold out around here (Indianapolis) is sanitary wipes. Plenty of anything else available.
Must be a west coast/east coast thing...

Ahhhh, I wasn't thinking that the chicken needed to go DOWN inside the vortex until I saw that on RS 's thread, but on the grate above the inverted vortex. Thanks for the pic to clarify that for me jaxgatorz jaxgatorz

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky