Vortex Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spodie Odie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Had a craving for chicken thighs. So I pulled the Weber out and shoved some coals down in the vortex. This thing cooks chicken like every chicken dreams to be cooked. It’s truly magic. Slap your chicken on and put a chunk of wood (I used post oak) on top over the vortex and watch it smoke for about 20-25 minutes until IT of the thighs is 165. Try to rotate lid every 5 minutes or so for all the thighs to get equal smoke (do this as fast as possible because the vortex will increase the heat quickly as soon as the lid opens) Sauce them if you like and put them back until the sauce tacs on there nice- 10 minutes. Take them off and cover with foil for about 5-10 minutes. And Enjoy

IMG_1652.PNG

IMG_1638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1654.PNG
    IMG_1654.PNG
    508.4 KB · Views: 40
Did you put the chunk of wood ontop of the grate? I really need to purchase one of those vortex things. Wife doesn't like my grilled wings on a coal grill like I do on the gas grill. I can get a lot more crisper on the gas but I've read the vortex will crisp them up good.

Reactions: JC in GB
Yes, I put the chunk right on the grate over the vortex. I agree with that, sometimes my charcoal wings come out good with a little char taste on them which I like, but my wife doesn't, and other times they get too charred. The beauty of the vortex is that you don't have to flip your wings as the heat is directed up and down the sides of the kettle producing an even cook all the way around. Very simple chicken cooking machine

Reactions: JC in GB
Awesome looking chicken! I really need to get a kettle/vortex setup, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet...you guys are killing me!!

Your treager looks a little jealous there lurking in the picture! Lol

Thanks! I got the lower end full size kettle at either Home Depot when it was on sale. It's nothing fancy and it does the job. My Traeger should be jealous! I was using it for my beans and decided to take a picture of the Weber. I have tried beer can chicken and chicken wings on the Traeger. Flavorful and very juicy but the skin is rubber. I have tried high heat and have gone by the Traeger app's recipes... why bother when I can use the vortex to get it all... smoke, juicy, and crispy

They look great! I have to agree, the many things my Yoder does well chicken skin is not one of them. I'm gonna break out the old WSM 22" and do some "modifying" soon. That Vortex thing has my curiosity for sure. Your chicken looks awesome.

I appreciate it! Apparently, you can flip it around and push it to the side and have cook indirect. I might try that with a rack of ribs soon. I also saw someone flip it and do a beer can chicken in it and put charcoal around it so that the vortex acts as a shield. I will have lots of fun with this thing for sure..

Just noticed the picture of the vortex/ chicken did not post properly... See attached file for the picture

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky