visiting Kansas City this weekend - where should I eat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dalglish

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Portland, OR
I've never been before, sure there are plenty of online reviews saying this bbq joint is the best and that one isn't so good but I'd love to hear some reviews from people that actually spend hours messing around with smoke and meat :)

Any tips really welcome!

Thanks guys, we'll be staying downtown, a little south of the power and light district. I've read about Joe's, the gas station one so will give that place a visit. Looks like Q39 is only about 3 miles away too, nice! 

My vote is Arthur Bryant's. Their sauce is different from many others, but I grew to love it as a kid, especially dunking their homemade fries in it. They have a sweeter sauce too. I just don't think anyone touches their brisket. I will agree with others that Joe's (KC) BBQ is really good but prefer their pork. Q39 is also excellent but a little pricey in my opinion. I think LC's is about as good as any, but go their for lunch not dinner. Not the best part of town. All are close to P&L.

Definitely report back. I love hearing people's opinions on KC BBQ.

My vote is Arthur Bryant's. Their sauce is different from many others, but I grew to love it as a kid, especially dunking their homemade fries in it. They have a sweeter sauce too. I just don't think anyone touches their brisket. I will agree with others that Joe's (KC) BBQ is really good but prefer their pork. Q39 is also excellent but a little pricey in my opinion. I think LC's is about as good as any, but go their for lunch not dinner. Not the best part of town. All are close to P&L.

Definitely report back. I love hearing people's opinions on KC BBQ.
You can't build up a rep like Arthur Bryant's and not have been good at some point. I do like their sauce but the last couple of times I've gone the meat quality (brisket) has been very poor. Perhaps brisket just isn't the thing to get there but I'm of the opinion that if you can't make a certain dish/cut well then you take it off your menu.

LC's is good too. Haven't eaten there in a while though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky