Video games?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Son has all kind of systems and he has a space game you have to wear 3D goggles, i had to quit playing it because i would have spent a lot of $$ to buy me the same lol

I play several hours a day. One of the reasons I get up so early. I have just about every PS3 game there is and many Xbox. I have not got a PS4 yet as I am to cheap to pay over $15 a game. I buy used games on amazon. I do not do online stuff as those kids are to good for me. It takes practice. Take it slow and and look around a lot. Tomb Raider games might be good for you and I really enjoys them. I like all the Tom Clancy's games and call of duty. That Border lands is good.

Last edited:
None for me but all of my kids play.
Oldest son played ALOT while in the Navy but I believe has cut back some since he's transitioning back to civilian life. I tried a little but was afraid I'd get hooked lol.
But man if I could find Frogger again....

I was into it too . I have some muscle bound systems all built from scratch . I got into the water cooled over clocking and just abusing them to see what they would do . The tech advances so fast though .
I had 11 PC with 2 servers on a network in the house . All self taught . Kids loved it . Movies music and games they could play from the server in the house . We used to play Quake 3 and half life .
Like to have that money back . LOL .
Never got as far as water cooling, but my last system had 5 fans including the ones on the cooling tower, video card and power supply.
The cooling tower fan was adjustable. At full tilt it sounded like an airport LOL! And a whole 2 gigs of ram!!!:emoji_astonished:
top.jpg front.jpg side.jpg

I play several hours a day. One of the reasons I get up so early. I have just about every PS3 game there is and many Xbox. I have not got a PS4 yet as I am to chrap to pay over $15 a game. I buy used games on amazon. I do not do online stuff as those kids are to good for me. It takes practice. Take it slow and and look around a lot. Tomb Raider games might be good for you and I really enjoys them. I like all the Tom Clancy's games and call of duty. That Border lands is good.
I get games used at Gamestop usually.
I don't do online games either for the same reason. It's getting hard to find any newer ones that don't require online play.

I've been playing since the early 80's starting on an Apple IIe with dual floppy drives, LOL. The original Castle Wolfenstein, what a game. Ultima IV. Been playing on a home built PC for the last ~20yrs, not as nice as some of you have shown, but I'm way more into stand alone RPGs like Fallout (loved III and New Vegas, IV was OK), Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Witcher Series and their like that don't need the super response times like online FPS games. Assassins Creed Black Flag was cool, I want to try the Viking one. I've been playing a lot of wierd indy game lately, EPIC gives away a couple free games every month. "Don't Starve" was fun and "Sunless Sea" is bizarre but interesting. Oh, "The Long Dark", pretty cool.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Who can forget "You have died of dysentery".
Dying of dysentery reminds me of survival games. I played the survival game Ark for awhile. It was harsh!! You literally have to immediately find shelter, food, fire etc. It was very cool but required so much daily check in time to keep your animals and structures secure from others u quit.

I've been playing since the early 80's starting on an Apple IIe with dual floppy drives, LOL. The original Castle Wolfenstein, what a game. Ultima IV. Been playing on a home built PC for the last ~20yrs, not as nice as some of you have shown, but I'm way more into stand alone RPGs like Fallout (loved III and New Vegas, IV was OK), Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Witcher Series and their like that don't need the super response times like online FPS games. Assassins Creed Black Flag was cool, I want to try the Viking one. I've been playing a lot of wierd indy game lately, EPIC gives away a couple free games every month. "Don't Starve" was fun and "Sunless Sea" is bizarre but interesting. Oh, "The Long Dark", pretty cool.
Love all the games you mentioned pretty much. Excited that a new Dragon Age is coming out next year. Assassins creed early games I hated but they morphed it from action to an RPG / action. The one in Egypt is amazing!! LOL this thread is going to have me back in the doghouse for hours spent in the upstairs office “working”

Dying of dysentery reminds me of survival games. I played the survival game Ark for awhile. It was harsh!! You literally have to immediately find shelter, food, fire etc. It was very cool but required so much daily check in time to keep your animals and structures secure from others u quit.
The Long Dark and Don't Starve are both survival but they're stand alone so no checking in required. The Long Dark is "semi-realistic" just you vs nature.

Reactions: jcam222
I actually had a Castle Wolfenstein disk someone gave me! Might still have it somewhere.
On the PC I liked Civilization, Elder Scrolls Morrowwind and Far Cry, but there's no way to win Civilization against the computer and with the others I got to a point I just couldn't get past and tired of it. I got away from gaming for a few years and then my computer just didn't cut it. Also I was tired of being shut up in the bedroom with the desktop. With the console I can be out in the living room with my armchair. I like the ones that have "quests" like Assassins Creed, Borderlands and The Outer Worlds where if you keep getting stuck you can just say screw it and try another quest. It's supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Reactions: jcam222
Wasted many a hard earned quarter on Space Invaders, Asteroids, PacMan, Galaga, DigDug, FoodFight, SpyHunter, you name it. Still have the patterns and strategy committed to memory. Had most consoles Pong through PS4 and trying to score PS5 this year for Christmas. For some reason I stayed away from PC games. Not sure why. I played a few of the PS4 Dark Souls franchise titles a few years a pop and man those were hard games. Very cool time to be a gamer with all the options. I have a buddy who's kid is monetized on YouTube making well over 6 figures doing walkthroughs. Could talk games as much as smoking but admit I do not have the time I used to play.

Cool thread SmokyMose SmokyMose .
Anyone remember 'Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards'? Hilarious game on Apple PC from the early nineties.
Yeah, I figured I'd get laughed off the site but this has been interesting.
I remember Leisure Suit Larry but I never played it.
I didn't get my first computer 'til around "98. Gateway. Got hooked on Civilization and Dungeon Siege. Built my first one in 2000 so things would move a little faster.
Things have come a long way....

Wasted many a hard earned quarter on Space Invaders, Asteroids, PacMan, Galaga, DigDug, FoodFight, SpyHunter, you name it. Still have the patterns and strategy committed to memory. Had most consoles Pong through PS4 and trying to score PS5 this year for Christmas. For some reason I stayed away from PC games. Not sure why. I played a few of the PS4 Dark Souls franchise titles a few years a pop and man those were hard games. Very cool time to be a gamer with all the options. I have a buddy who's kid is monetized on YouTube making well over 6 figures doing walkthroughs. Could talk games as much as smoking but admit I do not have the time I used to play.
My ex and my now SIL used to make cheat books for EA. They made a living but I don't remember 6 figures LOL!

Reactions: zwiller
In grade school I remember playing the Oregon Trail on the Apple II E. My sister always died.
I started to bring that up . That was one recommended for grade school aged kids . Halfway through Wyoming the whole family and all their friends were dead . LOL . My Daughter was freaked out by it .

Reactions: yankee2bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky