Very First Overnight Cook - what do you think of these digital thermometers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I decided to take a shot at an overnight cook for a 14-pound brisket for my July 4th bbq

Having never done one, I definitely want to use an alarm to alert me if anything goes wrong while I'm sleeping.

After reading through the boards, I narrowed it down to these two products:

1. Inkbird IRF-4S Wireless Meat Thermometer - $75 on Amazon

2. Inkbird IBT-2X Digital BBQ Grill Bluetooth Oven Smoker Thermometer - $35 on Amazon

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you,

Daba's BBQ

Reactions: JLeonard
I have this 4 probe One.

as well as their instant read. And a lot of their other products. They are all great. Comes down to really what you’ll neeed it for. The 4 probe obviously is nice for doing more than one meats at a time. If you ever think you’ll do more than one I’d buy the 4 probe. That way your not stick buying another one. They are also a site sponsor and have some pretty good deals. Might be able to message Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq and see if they have any going on now

Reactions: Steve H
Sorry I cut myself off when I was typing. I posted the link to mine. It alerts you from your phone. It’s Bluetooth so you download an app for it. you can set an alarm for each prongs to go off at a low or high temp. The range for mine is probably roughly 60 feet

I have the IRF 4S. It's saved me twice on overnight cooks. Got it for much less when Inkbird had a special on it through the forum (though mine didn't come with that nice case ) ;) I find it a bit goofy how you set the alarms, but it works. Alerts through base, no phone connection.

Last edited:
I have a dozen therms, and I use them all, but I must say for an overnight cook I use my Thermoworks Smoke. I put the receiver next to my bed and get to sleep. If something happens the alarm goes off & I get up & take care of it. Do you have a set & forget smoker, because for an overnight smoke I use my WSM/Guru setup, so there really isn’t any need to even use the Smoke, except as a backup. I have ran the WSM for 22 hours without adding any wood or charcoal. But I have to say that is in Florida in the summer.
Al

Forgot what I paid for it, but it wasn't $75 and they sent me two (?).
inkbird.jpg

I have a dozen therms, and I use them all, but I must say for an overnight cook I use my Thermoworks Smoke. I put the receiver next to my bed and get to sleep. If something happens the alarm goes off & I get up & take care of it. Do you have a set & forget smoker, because for an overnight smoke I use my WSM/Guru setup, so there really isn’t any need to even use the Smoke, except as a backup. I have ran the WSM for 22 hours without adding any wood or charcoal. But I have to say that is in Florida in the summer.
Al
Hi Al,

I have a Traeger Pro Series 34 smoker. I actually went with the Inkbird IRF-4S

BTW - you wouldn't happen to be the Al of Smokin' Al here in NY, would you?

How am I alerted by the 4S - via my phone or via the base unit?

Base unit that you carry with you.
The 4S is built in 2 pieces.
Piece 1: You leave at the smoker and has the probes that you put into your meat and/or set on the smoker rack. This way you can measure both meat and get an accurate smoker temp reading at rack level where the meat is. This piece broadcasts signal to Piece 2 which is like a receiver and control unit

Piece 2: Is a Receiver and Control unit. It picks up the broadcast of information from Piece 1. Also you punch in your various alarms and other settings to manage control based on each probe.
Minimally you run 1 one probe at the "Oven" setting so you can set a High and Low value for the alarm to alert you. Should things get too hot or the smoker shut off this thing will save you.

Next probe setting will be a meat setting. I always run mine on custom settings but they have factory ones for chicken, pork, etc. to try and help out. Those are pretty much useless so you just override to your own personal temp values and the alarm for that probe will go off when the temp is hit. Pretty easy.

Now the Bluetooth specification is designed for about 30ft (10meters/yards) of range and Wifi range isn't much better. So bluetooth and wifi units that work with your phone may not be an option unless they can easily and reliably cover the distance you need.
Wifi units can be assisted with wifi extenders that may reach your smoker but that means buying more stuff. Once connected to wifi you can monitor anywhere your phone has connection to your home wifi signal but I'm not sure these devices open up to the internet so you can check anywhere your phone has cell network + internet access. Your home network vs internet network are 2 different animals, especially with access and security.

The 4S has a dedicated radio frequency design so I believe you can get 300ft(100meters/yards) of range out of it. In reality you should always be within 30 seconds to getting to your smoker should a grease fire start or the unit shut down. Burning down the house/apt or starting a county wide grass fire (many places in drought) is not something any of us would enjoy and is easily preventable just by being around to handle it when it starts :)

Always take this into consideration when choosing a remote digital thermometer :)

FYI-IBBQ4T is on sale on Amazon. I literally just got today so no review. I got a lightning deal but still 20% off the $89.99 right now. 4 probe wifi. Not endorsing or saying anything as I have not used yet.

I was using a maverick hd-32 (which was great), but my wife recently bought me an inkbird IBT-4XS. I am in the process of using for a third time right now, it's been perfect so far.
I like the magnet on the back, I stick it to the underside of my grills side shelf, since it sits right next to my smoker. This let's me keep it shielded from the rain on rainy days, and keeps it from getting too much direct sunlight on those hot days.
Mine came with three pointed probes, as well as one shorter probe with no tip. I use the smaller probe (and the little clip it came with) to try and monitor the smoker temp. Although it read about 100 degrees higher than the built in therm on the smoker itself, it's still a good indicator on if I ran out of propane like I did this morning, or if for any reason it's getting way higher than what I want. The meat probes seem very accurate though.
The rechargeable unit is handy, no more batteries.
The fact that I can monitor everything on my phone is a nice feature in this day and age. My recommendation is just to go for it. You can certainly find cheaper ones, but as long as you take care of it, this thing should last for longer than you can even remember what you paid.

Happy smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky