Very First Ever Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
We usually don't get brisket in our stores unless you go to a butcher shop and ask for one but lately seems every grocery store has a good supply of them. So I walk by them several times and finally broke down and bought one. Had also bought a nice beef rub to be mixed with one other I had already. (Smokey Southwest & Exotic Foods Sure Shot Sids Gun Powder)
QLDQ3iy.jpg dk1cgGg.jpg

It was a 13.69071 lbs. brisket, trimmed out to around 9.5 lbs.
So I used my Pit Barrel Cooker for the cook. Watched a few videos and some hang the brisket and some use the grill. I decided on using the grill. As it turned out it hardly fit the grill and I'm sure hanging it the darn thing would have been in the charcoal.
Any ways 3.7 hours later it was at 165 degrees IT. Wrapped in tin foil with some beef broth till it reached 200 fegrees IT
Total time in the Pit Barrel was 6.3 hours.
Let it rest in a towel in the cooler for 3 more hours and I have to say this was one fine tasting brisket. Glad I gave one a try. Will be doing more. :)
Here are some picks.

hBHYXIA.jpg
NmiRLSn.jpg
p8Ruw4v.jpg
6Vuu5kR.jpg
It6YURF.jpg
dHy806v.jpg
FgN0Zij.jpg
HrhuwZp.jpg

looks a little small for a 13.69071! Just razzing you!
Good job and glad you are seeing more of them at the store.
It is a fun cook and even better reward.
That is a fast cook time though. What was your cook temp? Must of been up around 148.888889 degrees (C) in the cook chamber.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
looks a little small for a 13.69071! Just razzing you!
Good job and glad you are seeing more of them at the store.
It is a fun cook and even better reward.
That is a fast cook time though. What was your cook temp? Must of been up around 148.888889 degrees (C) in the cook chamber.
LOL
Pit Barrels are designed to run between 250° and 300°
For the first hour and a half it was close to 300°
Later on was running almost perfectly at 250° for the rest of the smoke.
Actual according to the owners of the Pit Barrel company it should have been around 5.5 hours.
The hardest part is resting time in the cooler put in the end it was worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky