Vertical smoker for sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike anliker

Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Looking for suggestions on a new vertical pellet smoker. I'm looking for something big and under $2000. Need a new smoker for hanging summer sausage, ring bologna, brats, snack sticks etc. The bigger the better. Would be good to have the capacity to hold 100 lbs or so. Not interested in the cheaper smokers like Pitboss, Masterbilt, Bradley... Want something high quality and will last a long time.

For efficiency to smoke 100# of sausage, I would not go any smaller than 36 cu.ft. of chamber space. Something 30" X 30" X 66".... I would look into a large vertical cabinet reverse flow if it were me...

In all honest you will have a hard time running low enuf temps for a lot of sausages with any pellet smoker imo , a electric would be my pick for quality

I love my Camp Chef XXL vertical. And it comes with the sausage hooks. The newer ones have WiFi PID controllers and they do make an accessory cover and custom fitted insulating blanket for the colder weather. They are around $600-$700 and Camp Chef is pretty well-known for their customer service. We'd like to get a smoker for our American Legion post and I'm trying to get my SAL squadron to buy one of these.

I love my Camp Chef XXL vertical. And it comes with the sausage hooks. The newer ones have WiFi PID controllers and they do make an accessory cover and custom fitted insulating blanket for the colder weather. They are around $600-$700 and Camp Chef is pretty well-known for their customer service. We'd like to get a smoker for our American Legion post and I'm trying to get my SAL squadron to buy one of these.
Can you smoke 100# of sausage in that smoker at one time?

Look at The Sausage Maker site. They have large capacity smokers for what your looking for but i dont think they are pellets

Yes
They have a 100 pounder electric but its huge $$$$
My 30 pound TSM will not hold 30, mote like 15-20lbs but it takes forever to do that much. i had help rewiring the element and bypass the junk controller and now have a PID from auber.

Yes
They have a 100 pounder electric but its huge $$$$
My 30 pound TSM will not hold 30, mote like 15-20lbs but it takes forever to do that much. i had help rewiring the element and bypass the junk controller and now have a PID from auber.
Do you have the one from TSM with the red roof? I was looking at that one but not sure about the capacity...

I was looking at the Campchef XXL, but it seems they're out of stock everywhere!!!

What I can say from experience having smoked countless large batches of 100-120# smoke sausages, 36cu.ft. would be the absolute smallest size I would recommend. And it is a full smokehouse at that....it's a 10 hour minimum smoke because of the thermal mass of the meat.

I use propane and wood chunks. I can dial the heat down to 100-120*F and step it up with a fine degree of control +-3*F....

Larger the smokehouse, the easier it is to control the heat.......and control is what you need for smoking sausages without having fat out. Ideally, minimum 3 ft. from bottom of sausage links to fire source.

Looking for suggestions on a new vertical pellet smoker. I'm looking for something big and under $2000. Need a new smoker for hanging summer sausage, ring bologna, brats, snack sticks etc. The bigger the better. Would be good to have the capacity to hold 100 lbs or so. Not interested in the cheaper smokers like Pitboss, Masterbilt, Bradley... Want something high quality and will last a long time.

Check this one out, it just might be what you’re looking for... https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-vertical-cabinet-pellet-smoker/
Image.png

Image_1.png

SmokeDaddy is a great company to do business with as well and if you have any questions, just give Dennis a call, he’s the owner. 847-336-1329

https://smokedaddyinc.com/our-company/

Good luck...

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Do you have building skills or place to do it ?
Easy enough build for something similar 3x3x7'.
Can easily fit 100# sausage. Was an old RR signal bungalow.
20181108_132429.jpg 20181108_132349.jpg
Propane burner needle valve.

That

as stated not sure pellet grill will keep low enough temps.

Check this one out, it just might be what you’re looking for... https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-vertical-cabinet-pellet-smoker/
View attachment 482154
View attachment 482155
SmokeDaddy is a great company to do business with as well and if you have any questions, just give Dennis a call, he’s the owner. 847-336-1329

Good luck...

THIS would be my first choice for a Pellet Smoker that can handle Volume.
Next would be a Vertical Charcoal Smoker from, Lone Star Grillz...JJ

Reactions: RCAlan
View attachment 482154
View attachment 482155

Good luck...

This is the one I'm going with! I talked to Dan at Smoke Daddy today and he is a super guy! He was very helpful. Might not hold 100 lbs, but I don't think I'm going to find one that will for less than $2000. This smoker looks very well built and I'm sure I'll be happy with it for years to come!

Reactions: RCAlan
10cu.ft. of space....could do 25# of sausage at one time...maybe 30#...but you'll have to see how 25# does first. If you overload it, it will take forever to finish because of the large thermal mass and restricted airflow for heat exchange.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky