Ventilation Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sledhead01

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
St. Albert, Alberta
So before I start cutting holes in my smoker I am looking for some advice in my ventilation thoughts. The smoker is 56" high, 24" wide and 29" deep.
I was planning to have a 4" chimney coming out of the top and for my air intake I was planning on cutting two or four 4" holes and putting adjustable vent covers on them so I can adjust the flow.
Would 2 intake holes be enough or should I go with 4?
I am posting pics of my cabinet and the vent covers I was planning to use.
I welcome the input.
smkr.jpg
vent.jpg

What was the original use of that box? It's big enough to smoke tons of meat that's for sure. I think a smaller hole at bottom would be better, say a 2" hole with baffle (you can always add another later...also a maybe a baffle on your top pipe though that might hold the smoke in too much.If your trying to do a hot smoke vs a cold smoke then you will have to reduce the exit whole to help contain temp.

If you are running electric, two should be more than enough. My fridge build is smaller than yours at 33"x24"x14". I have a 2" exhaust and installed two 1 1/4" intake pipes. I wound up plugging one of them off because it wasn't needed. Just one is enough to keep my AMNPS happily making TBS. You should be fine with the pair. You may even have to keep them partially closed. Good luck.

What was the original use of that box? It's big enough to smoke tons of meat that's for sure. I think a smaller hole at bottom would be better, say a 2" hole with baffle (you can always add another later...also a maybe a baffle on your top pipe though that might hold the smoke in too much.If your trying to do a hot smoke vs a cold smoke then you will have to reduce the exit whole to help contain temp.

The unit is actually a food proofer and still functions, it heats and has a circulation fan in it. I plan to primarily use it for hot smoking. As for the bottom vents I like the idea of the round covers because they can be closed off if needed. My plan for the chimney was to have it completely open as I don't think heat retention will be an issue. I am using two stove top burners that will have a combined capacity of 4000 watts of heating power.

If you are running electric, two should be more than enough. My fridge build is smaller than yours at 33"x24"x14". I have a 2" exhaust and installed two 1 1/4" intake pipes. I wound up plugging one of them off because it wasn't needed. Just one is enough to keep my AMNPS happily making TBS. You should be fine with the pair. You may even have to keep them partially closed. Good luck.

Do you have an intake on each of your fridge or are they both on the same side?
Do you think it would matter if there is not one on each side?

IMAG1276.jpg
Here is a picture I took during the build. I put the vent holes on opposite corners. I wound up closing the one on the right. plenty of air coming in to keep the pellets in the tray burning. You can see the second hole marked behind the pellet tray. I used a floor flange with the pipe screwed in backwards for my sir intake.
IMAG1436.jpg

Looks like that will be a nice smoker. The stack should come out on the side or the back at the top of the smoker. if you have it come out the top you will get drips on your meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky