Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenharley

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Lancaster Co., PA
This stuff never lasts too long in my household or with friends. As such I decided to make a larger batch (25#). If you happen to be thinking about Summer sausage and especially on the venison side of things, I will suggest that you make it and your followers will be never-ending.

IMG_2814.JPG

25# of mixed goodness. This is 20# of venison and 5# of Ground pork shoulder. The pork shoulder adds a bit of fat/moisture through the smoking process with very lean venison.
IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2817.JPG

Stuffed and ready for the smoker.
IMG_2819.JPG

Smoked to 160 and coooling

Attachments

• IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Looks good. What is your recipe?
Peachey, for a number of years I used a recipe from Rytek Kutas in his sausage recipe book. It was good and like any other scratch recipe you need to have all ingredients on hand which is not always the case for me. A few years back I tried the AC Legg Summer Sausage seasoning and haven't looked back. It is very similar in flavor to the Kutas recipe and much easier since it's premixed. I usually embellish some as I did with this batch - some with high-temp cheddar and some with fresh diced jalapeno.

Reactions: WeberDie
Peachey, for a number of years I used a recipe from Rytek Kutas in his sausage recipe book. It was good and like any other scratch recipe you need to have all ingredients on hand which is not always the case for me. A few years back I tried the AC Legg Summer Sausage seasoning and haven't looked back. It is very similar in flavor to the Kutas recipe and much easier since it's premixed. I usually embellish some as I did with this batch - some with high-temp cheddar and some with fresh diced jalapeno.
Sounds good thanks

This stuff never lasts too long in my household or with friends. As such I decided to make a larger batch (25#). If you happen to be thinking about Summer sausage and especially on the venison side of things, I will suggest that you make it and your followers will be never-ending.

View attachment 457469

25# of mixed goodness. This is 20# of venison and 5# of Ground pork shoulder. The pork shoulder adds a bit of fat/moisture through the smoking process with very lean venison.
View attachment 457472View attachment 457472View attachment 457472

Stuffed and ready for the smoker.
View attachment 457473

Smoked to 160 and coooling

That looks good!
I am making venison jerky right now. I'm using a seasoning my mother got me as a gift some years ago.... its not very good but I think the jerky will get consumed with no issue since im the one eating it hahaha.

I love all things wild game so keep on posting any venison stuff u make! :)

@smokinharley .... If I want to make some venison smoked SS , is it best to smoke everything up front and freeze/shrink wrap what your putting up, OR freeze/shrink wrap what you know your outting up and smoke it at a later date when your ready to eat?

i made some summer sausage about 7-8 years ago and i think i remember the ones i smoked and took out of the freezer not tasting as good.

Bnew, I have always froze the sausage after smoking but I suppose you could freeze the mix and smoke whenever you wish. I never had a loss of flavor with any of my vacuum-packed sausage. I found some at the bottom of my freezer that was 2-years old and it still tasted very good. On the other hand, I had some smoked venison bratwurst in a regular freezer bag for about six months and after cooking the flavor was flat. I think that says something for vacuum packing. I hope this helps. Good luck with your next batch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky