Venison Summer Sausage for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I decided it was time I give making my own summer sausage a go. I made a 20lb batch using Big Guys recipe. A couple of other guys have tried this recipe and have had great luck so I decided to go this route rather then buying a premix from the store. I ground, seasoned, mixed and stuffed on Friday night and let them rest in the fridge over night and then threw them in the smoke shack on Saturday morning. Ran them at 130 degrees for 2 hours without any smoke to dry them and then applied smoke and kicked the temps up to 150 for 4 hours then kicked the temps up 175 until they reached 150-155 internal temp. Total time in the smoker was 12.5 hours and they were about 3lbs each. They have been resting in the fridge ever since and I am planning on packaging them tonight and finally trying some to see how it turned out. Here are a few pics.

Mixing everything with my new 20lb mixer that I just got off of craigslist.

All stuffed and hanging in the garage getting ready for a nap in the fridge.

Saturday morning and in the smoker they go.

Starting the AMNPS with some hickory dust and perfect blend pellets. I had a heck of a time keeping this going. I don't know if it was the mix of the pellets and dust or what as this was the first time I had tried mixing the two. I though I have seen other people doing this but maybe not.

All done and sitting on the counter getting ready to chill out in the fridge.

I can't wait to give these a try tonight and see how they taste. Thanks for looking.

Looking good

drool.gif

Looks-Great.gif
Be sure and post pics of the final product. I will soon be trying ny hand at the summer sausage as well. Are you using those lights for heat in there, or are those holes with the sun shining through?

Looks-Great.gif
Be sure and post pics of the final product. I will soon be trying ny hand at the summer sausage as well. Are you using those lights for heat in there, or are those holes with the sun shining through?

Those are my exhaust holes and the sun is shinning through. I think I need to add some stacks on them and that might help with my exhaust a bit. I think the wind might be trying to blow into the holes and cause some of my issues with my draft and that is why I am having trouble with my AMNPS some times. I'm not sure but its  a theory.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky