Venison Sausage Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mountbaldy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Townsend, MT
I had some smoked venison sausages a couple years back while I was ice fishing. I have made lots and lots of brats over the years and this smoked sausage was far superior. My best guess for what they used are; 40% corn fed venison, 60% pork shoulder, dried garlic, onion powder, marjoram, mustard seeds, cure, salt and probably more things. These sausages were about the thickness of brats and were in a natural casing. They were smoked with apple-wood and oak. The moisture content was fantastic. The guys who cooked these up, brought them to the ice pre-smoked. They finished them on a gas grill. I meant to keep in touch with them and try and get this recipe but I failed to do that.

Anyone else have any awesome recipes that are similar to this that they would be willing to share?

Experiment with the percentage of any wild game, 40% and 50% cut with the opposing percentage of ground pork butt are good ratio's. I don't like grinding pork loin, it's too lean for my tastes.

I make a farm style sausage that is good for breakfast or making patties to grill for sausage burgers or meatballs cooked with fried onions and potatoes. I package of it in bulk, or into 1# plastic sleeves and smoke them as fatties. Adding powdered milk is optional and even if you go lighter than the normal 1-cup per 5#... say 1-cup per 7# or 10# will make for a moister sausage. The fresh aromatics also help with moistness. Here is the recipe. As always, add or subtract any ingredient you want.

FARM SAUSAGE

3 lbs. ground pork butt
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup ice cold water (add enough to get a workable texture)

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky