Venison Roast Jerky (with lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Firearm deer season starts Saturday here in Missouri and, if you are a deer hunter, this is a HUGE day. Just as big as Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving. Lots of tradition too. And - through proper deep freeze management, I saved my last 2 deer roasts from last season so I could make some jerky for my sons and me for opening weekend.

Here are the 2 deer roasts. Total weight is a little over 4 pounds.
IMG_5003.jpg

I trim the roasts into 3 strips of about equal width and then slice it into pieces about 3/16" thick. If I was doing 5 pounds, I would slice it thicker. I just use a cheap knife, but it is very sharp.
IMG_5004..jpg

IMG_5005..jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

I used to make my own marinade, for years. Then I stumbled onto OwensBBQ.com and their flavor packs. Super easy to use and each flavor pack comes with a pack of cure. Awesome stuff. My faves are regular, hickory, mesquite, and garlic pepper.
IMG_5007..jpg

I place all the meat in a Great Value zip-lock bag (best for not leaking that I have found so far!) Mix the marinade in a cup with the cure. For this batch I used hickory and I added two heaping tablespoons of Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning. Dump it all in the bag. Seal it up and squeeze as much air our as you can. Pop the whole shebang into the fridge and let it soak for at least 12 hours...24 is better.

I sometimes add about the same amount of granulated garlic. Experiment! Have fun! Even your mistakes will be delicious!
IMG_5008..jpg

24 hours later
IMG_5024..jpg

Drain it in a colander
IMG_5025.jpg

Load up the trays.
If you make a sweeter jerky BE SURE TO SPRAY A LITTLE NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY ON YOUR TRAYS BEFORE YOU LOAD THEM! or you will be prying the meat off the trays with a knife.
The meat slices can touch but should not overlap or the drying will be very uneven. I can get about 1 to 1.25 pounds of meat on each tray depending on how thick I slice it.
IMG_5026..jpg

I use an Open Country forced air dehydrator. I run it on high (155F) for the first hour or so. I then drop it back to 125F to 135F to finish (temp depending on how thick I sliced it). I left this in the dehydrator about 9 hours to make a drier jerky - which lasts a lot longer than moist jerky. I usually do wild game this way. If I do beef, it is easier to obtain a more-moist jerky.
IMG_5027..jpg

Remember that 4 pounds of venison roast? It only made 1.6 lbs of of delicious venison roast jerky.
IMG_5028.jpg

Good luck to all of you deer hunters this season!

Last edited:
This looks great! I have a batch going in my smoker as we speak....and it’s for the same thing, first rifle in Missouri. Only it’ll be this Louisiana boy’s first ever out of state!
Enjoy the jerky and good luck!

This looks great! I have a batch going in my smoker as we speak....and it’s for the same thing, first rifle in Missouri. Only it’ll be this Louisiana boy’s first ever out of state!
Enjoy the jerky and good luck!

Awesome! Good luck with your hunt. Bring me so real Andioulle Sausage please :-)

Reactions: 73saint
Great looking jerky Eddie!

That photo brings up some good memories. I hunted when I was younger and when would get a deer, my grandfather would make jerky for me. He had an old white Ronco dehydrator and he’d load it up for me...It looked exactly like your picture.

Like!!

Great looking jerky Eddie!

That photo brings up some good memories. I hunted when I was younger and when would get a deer, my grandfather would make jerky for me. He had an old white Ronco dehydrator and he’d load it up for me...It looked exactly like your picture.

Like!!

xray xray - My first dehydrator was a Ronco (like in 1994 or so). It was convection. Had to swap the trays around every few hours...but it got the job done!

Eddie, You mean send us up the seasoning from from cajun country. Love andioulle, have made my own, gumbo, Yum.What part is everybody hunting. Cass county here, out the back door pretty much. Good luck!

Boone County for me...

Firearm deer season starts Saturday here in Missouri and, if you are a deer hunter, this is a HUGE day. Just as big as Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving. Lots of tradition too. And - through proper deep freeze management, I saved my last 2 deer roasts from last season so I could make some jerky for my sons and me for opening weekend.

Here are the 2 deer roasts. Total weight is a little over 4 pounds.View attachment 411427

I trim the roasts into 3 strips of about equal width and then slice it into pieces about 3/16" thick. If I was doing 5 pounds, I would slice it thicker. I just use a cheap knife, but it is very sharp.
View attachment 411429
View attachment 411431
View attachment 411432

I used to make my own marinade, for years. Then I stumbled onto OwensBBQ.com and their flavor packs. Super easy to use and each flavor pack comes with a pack of cure. Awesome stuff. My faves are regular, hickory, mesquite, and garlic pepper.
View attachment 411434

I place all the meat in a Great Value zip-lock bag (best for not leaking that I have found so far!) Mix the marinade in a cup with the cure. For this batch I used hickory and I added two heaping tablespoons of Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning. Dump it all in the bag. Seal it up and squeeze as much air our as you can. Pop the whole shebang into the fridge and let it soak for at least 12 hours...24 is better.

I sometimes add about the same amount of granulated garlic. Experiment! Have fun! Even your mistakes will be delicious!
View attachment 411436

24 hours later
View attachment 411439

Drain it in a colander
View attachment 411440

Load up the trays.
If you make a sweeter jerky BE SURE TO SPRAY A LITTLE NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY ON YOUR TRAYS BEFORE YOU LOAD THEM! or you will be prying the meat off the trays with a knife.
The meat slices can touch but should not overlap or the drying will be very uneven. I can get about 1 to 1.25 pounds of meat on each tray depending on how thick I slice it.
View attachment 411444

I use an Open Country forced air dehydrator. I run it on high (155F) for the first hour or so. I then drop it back to 125F to 135F to finish (temp depending on how thick I sliced it). I left this in the dehydrator about 9 hours to make a drier jerky - which lasts a lot longer than moist jerky. I usually do wild game this way. If I do beef, it is easier to obtain a more-moist jerky.
View attachment 411446

Remember that 4 pounds of venison roast? It only made 1.6 lbs of of delicious venison roast jerky.
View attachment 411447

Good luck to all of you deer hunters this season!

Nice job!
I was just on the phone with my brother earlier and he is getting ready to make his first batch of sliced jerky ever. He was asking for info/tips. I hope he gets it done and I can have some jerky to as he has a LOT of venison he can jerky up :)

Good luck! Sometimes go to St. Clair county. Gotta turn deer in first weekend for cwd. I'll just hang around here. Wife saw a nice one out by garden, probably rogue since I never see them. They have been hanging around longer though.

Good luck! Sometimes go to St. Clair county. Gotta turn deer in first weekend for cwd.
I roll thru St. Clair on my way to the farm . We don't have to test yet , but we're on the edge of Crawford that does .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky