Venison Loins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orenglin

Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Rockwell City, Iowa
Supper tonight.

Butterflied venison loin, marinated in Italian dressing, stuffed with cream cheese (about the size of my pinky finger the length of the butterfly, and slivered onions, wrapped in a bacon blanket. Smoked it to a "beef medium" well.

It was amazing.

Tried a different way of smoking.  Before tonight, I had only used charcoal, and A LOT of charcoal.  Tonight, I tried using more wood and less charcoal, and it seemed to work out well.  I plan to keep playing with it.  Now I need to figure how to better control the temps with wood.

That looks awesome
thumb1.gif

As for the wood try using smaller pieces and adding them more often or burn them in a separate device and transfer the coals which is a pain but gives you better heat control

Looks Awesome. Bacon weave looks good too!. Since moving to AZ in '07 I have yet to have a successful deer hunt. I miss hunting deer back in IN.

That looks fantastic! I believe by "money shot" they are looking for a picture of it sliced up so we can see the inside.

Oh, sorry, didn't think to snap that shot of it cut up.  In reality it was eaten so fast, I'm not sure I could have gotten one.
Yea you usually have to be quick and also aware to avoid forks and knives that are flying towards the meat
biggrin.gif

I must say this recipe sounded interesting so I had to try it on a fresh venny loin. Here's the money shot. The Italian marinade time was shorter than I prefer, being only 1.5 hrs. The temp set was 220 on my electric smoker and I took it off at probe temp of 150. Was not sure what the cream cheese would do so I smoked it in a small pan. Chips used was one cup of a mix of Apple and red oak. Very tasty.

And indeed, it was. Doing a larger cut today. Will send pics latter. Hoping to thin slice for lunch meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky