Venison for jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
I was given some roasts and various cuts (about 5#) and after several rinses it was still very bloody. I have it marinating in some Backwoods Jerky seasoning Teriyaki. I haven't made jerky in decades let alone used venison. I have a MES 30.
The meat looks nice and lean but the blood has me concerned. Whats the collective wisdom? I'm tempted to just go buy some eye of round and start over.

The blood ain't gonna hurt. Might taste a little gamey. Not much you can do about it now since you already marinated. Should have soaked it in salt water changing it out every hour or so. Just a tip for next time

The blood ain't gonna hurt. Might taste a little gamey. Not much you can do about it now since you already marinated. Should have soaked it in salt water changing it out every hour or so. Just a tip for next time
Would it hurt to rinse it real well and start over? Not sure I want to use it as it stands. 73 years old and survived a hospital stay with covid..

What snake said I use ground venison and a jerky gun so no way to soak. I just marinate over night then send it no complaint. If the person that gave you the meat process it properly you are good. You can soak and rinse next time obviously good luck

Reactions: TNJAKE
Going to do a good rinse and soak in some salt water for a few hours then season again. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: chopsaw
I agree with jake^^^^^^

If you use salt water you run the risk of your jerky being too salty when you reapply the marinate....because the meat will already have salt in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Depends on how the animal was harvested. If ran with dogs needs to be salt soaked. If shot and only ran a few yards shouldnt be gamey at all. Just marinate and dry or dry and smoke.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky