Ground Venison Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Going to make some ground venison jerky to take to Colorado.

Here I have 2.5 lbs ground venison and 1lb 80/20 ground beef. Need to defrost.
IMG_3175.jpg

Made into rounds, patted by hand. Normally when I do rounds I stuff into a SS casings, freeze that then slice into rounds but I'm lazy now.

Went with some Bolners and cure 1.
IMG_3193.JPG

Rounds or sorta.
IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

I looking for a new ground beef recipe. May do half batch beef and half venison.

What is your recipe Carlo?

How did you like that Fiesta?
The bolners is good jerky mix. There was no recipe for ground so I just winged it. Took to Colorado, son ate it all.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I looking for a new ground beef recipe. May do half batch beef and half venison.

What is your recipe Carlo?

How did you like that Fiesta?
Brian I did a homemade recipe (doctored up some other recipes to make this), and used an old old pack of Lem's hot jerky seasoning. I used 100% ground venison.

The homemade is showing a lot of promise! I wanted one because I had only ever used store bought or one other jerky recipe I created but still used a store bought base. I wanted something PURE homemade from spices in the pantry!

Here is what the 1st round landed on. It's the spicy heat level I like but may be a little to much heat for people who are sensitive.

Ingredient
Amt Wt

Unit gm

Ground Meat (venison/beef 10% fat or less) (16oz/1pound)454gm
Black Pepper, course 4.00gm
Erythritol (Sugar = 25gm per pound)36.00gm
Cayenne powder3.00gm
Garlic, granulated 3.00gm
Kosher Salt
1.63% with cure and total weight
13.00gm
Onion Powder2.00gm
Worschester Sauce2.00TB
Cure #1, 156ppm
(cure#1/instacure #1/prague powder)
1.14gm

Notes I have:
  • Sweetness can come down a little but after 2 days of sitting seemed to even out, probably just a sweet spot or 2 while mixing.
  • Salt seemed a little strong on some bites but after 2 days seemed to even out, probably just a salty spot or 2 while mixing and not overall salty.
  • A little to spicy for sensitive people
  • Sugar per pound would be 25gm while Erythritol is 36gm, Allulose would be about 36gm as well
  • Repeat again to see if I have consistency or messed something up and didn't note it down

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Brian I did a homemade recipe (doctored up some other recipes to make this), and used an old old pack of Lem's hot jerky seasoning. I used 100% ground venison.

The homemade is showing a lot of promise! I wanted one because I had only ever used store bought or one other jerky recipe I created but still used a store bought base. I wanted something PURE homemade from spices in the pantry!

Here is what the 1st round landed on. It's the spicy heat level I like but may be a little to much heat for people who are sensitive.

Ingredient
Amt Wt
Unit gm
Ground Meat (venison/beef 10% fat or less) (16oz/1pound)454gm
Black Pepper, course4.00gm
Erythritol (Sugar = 25gm per pound)36.00gm
Cayenne powder3.00gm
Garlic, granulated3.00gm
Kosher Salt
1.63% with cure and total weight
13.00gm
Onion Powder2.00gm
Worschester Sauce2.00TB
Cure #1, 156ppm
(cure#1/instacure #1/prague powder)
1.14gm

Notes I have:
  • Sweetness can come down a little but after 2 days of sitting seemed to even out, probably just a sweet spot or 2 while mixing.
  • Salt seemed a little strong on some bites but after 2 days seemed to even out, probably just a salty spot or 2 while mixing and not overall salty.
  • A little to spicy for sensitive people
  • Sugar per pound would be 25gm while Erythritol is 36gm, Allulose would be about 36gm as well
  • Repeat again to see if I have consistency or messed something up and didn't note it down
Going to give this a shot. I may go 1/2 Worschester Sauce and 1/2 soy. I like it hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky