Venison Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kerstingm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Ohio
Just cooked a batch of Venison Burgers on the charcoal grill, talk about a new learning curve I need to learn.
18 out, i was surprised how fast they cooked, damn did they come out good,

Sorry for the no pics, low 18 out grill didn't turn out like I wanted (I'm sure others out there have had similar issues???)
My biggest issue was my burgers didn't sweat/bleed through top like they have in warmer temps

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you make a small indent in the middle of the patty? I always do

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was edited because of some language and all. If something was deleted please do not be offended

My ground deer is pretty lean so I'm a little nervous on trying to make burgers out of it. I'm thinking I would have to add a little fat or maybe ground pork to add to it. Wife and I made meat loaf out of ground deer over the weekend and it tastes okay but even with all the normal load ingredients, it still isn't that juicy. Just a very lean meat.

My hunting buddy, George, he turns everything but the tenderloins and backstraps into ground.
He adds pork fat/bacon grease by as much as 40% of weight.
It still cooks right out of it, but keeps it moist.

Myself on the other hand , I do zero ground.
All roasts, steaks, medallions and stew meat.

On the other hand, I really enjoy ground deer for tacos but don't have to worry about it staying formed like a burger of course.

Chile, I've never had a roast from a deer yet. Unfortunately, my neighbor lost his hunting land lease this year so I need to find a new hunting land as we speak.

On the other hand, I really enjoy ground deer for tacos but don't have to worry about it staying formed like a burger of course.

Chile, I've never had a roast from a deer yet. Unfortunately, my neighbor lost his hunting land lease this year so I need to find a new hunting land as we speak.

The problem with Deer Roasts is you can't remove the disgusting Fat from the inside of the roast.
That's the stuff they make candles out of & the stuff that forms on the roof of your mouth after eating a Venison Roast.

We don't care for straight Venison Burger.
After many years of varying the amounts in our mixes, we settled in on our favorite mix:
50% Venison
25% Pork (as in Pork Butt)
25% Beef (80/20 Beef)

Works Great on the Grill too.

Bear

My ground deer is pretty lean so I'm a little nervous on trying to make burgers out of it. I'm thinking I would have to add a little fat or maybe ground pork to add to it. Wife and I made meat loaf out of ground deer over the weekend and it tastes okay but even with all the normal load ingredients, it still isn't that juicy. Just a very lean meat.
We usually save our deer for sausage and jerky. We use it as well as our moose or elk for burger and we add 10% beef fat to the mix. It fries up great not to dry with no excess grease / moisture in the bottom of the pan. It makes great burgers as well. Like on the venison burgers.

We usually save our deer for sausage and jerky. We use it as well as our moose or elk for burger and we add 10% beef fat to the mix. It fries up great not to dry with no excess grease / moisture in the bottom of the pan. It makes great burgers as well. Like on the venison burgers.

Sure, Rub it in "Our Moose" and "Our Elk"!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky