Venison Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The problem with Deer Roasts is you can't remove the disgusting Fat from the inside of the roast.
That's the stuff they make candles out of & the stuff that forms on the roof of your mouth after eating a Venison Roast.

Bear
Dang John, thats curious, which venison roast are you finding this fat in?
Maybe ourSouthern deer are leaner and don't acquire this fatty deposit?
Or maybe someone isn't removing a gland?

Dang John, thats curious, which venison roast are you finding this fat in?
Maybe ourSouthern deer are leaner and don't acquire this fatty deposit?
Or maybe someone isn't removing a gland?

I guarantee your Southern Deer don't have near the terrible Tallow Fat in them, like ours do.
They don't have to survive the Minus Zero Temps & the numerous feet of Snow down there.
We got fat & sinew in between sections of all Venison Roasts, and never even think about saving the Ribs.
Southern boys aren't the only ones who know about removing glands. LOL
Ask any other Northern Hunter---Don't go by what I say, you know how I BS everybody!

Bear

Yeah, but fat in the roast?
Man I've hunted up North and never had fat like that IN the meat, just a little intramuscular fat aka marbling.
Any hard fat was trimmed off like everything else.
I know you're not BSing, but I'm curious about inedible roasts.

Not directed at you...
You know how many oblivious people I've encountered when it comes to glands/kernels in all sorts of critters?
Boggles the mind.
Some folks never cleaned a deer much less butcher it. Rather drop it off somewhere and it magically reappears in butcher paper.
I bet you know a few too.

Last edited:
Yeah, but fat in the roast?
Man I've hunted up North and never had fat like that IN the meat, just a little intramuscular fat aka marbling.
Any hard fat was trimmed off like everything else.
I know you're not BSing, but I'm curious about inedible roasts.

I didn't say Inedible!
If you like scraping tallow off the roof of your mouth, then a PA Deer is your Huckleberry.
I've eaten part of over 100 PA Deer---Mostly from my Dad's kill, when I was a kid, and all of us Kids hated it.
Then I started picking Fat & Sinew (silver-skin) off mine & it was better, but like I said there was stuff inside the roasts that I could only get out by breaking the roasts down.
Eventually I went to Everything going to Burger, except the Backstraps.
This is still the way we do all of the Deer my Son gets. I no longer hunt.

Bear

Chile
Maybe we're talking past each other:
I'm not talking about actual fat inside the middle of each small roast, like the Eye, Top, & Bottom Roast.
I'm talking about all the Fat, Sinew, and Silver-skin between each one of them & the part around the bone, you probably call a "Shank Roast". After I'd get done trimming all the crap from between all those roasts, there isn't much left.
That's why I quit making Dried Beef from my Venison Hind quarters, and went right to the Backstraps. Too much freaking Work cleaning all those up!!
I know the 11 pointer Bear Jr got with his Bow was a Royal PITA. It dressed out at 212, and had a ton of Fat in it.

That's one of the reasons you see me making so many Deerburgers, plus it's the best tasting way to eat Venison. IMHO

Bear

Main reason for post was I was questioning when to flip and pull, the burgers didn't sweat/bleed through like normal burgers. I usually us my grind for chili, this was my second straight venison burger grill, 1st one came out great no game back flavor. This time there was a deeper game taste. I'm good either way. I had a couple leftovers today and zero game taste just great burgers
Just hate to over cook anything

Main reason for post was I was questioning when to flip and pull, the burgers didn't sweat/bleed through like normal burgers. I usually us my grind for chili, this was my second straight venison burger grill, 1st one came out great no game back flavor. This time there was a deeper game taste. I'm good either way. I had a couple leftovers today and zero game taste just great burgers

Keep up the good work!!
Sometimes one will just sneak up on you.
You'll be ready for that to happen next time.
Glad you're lovin' them!!

Bear

Chile
Maybe we're talking past each other:
I'm not talking about actual fat inside the middle of each small roast, like the Eye, Top, & Bottom Roast.
I'm talking about all the Fat, Sinew, and Silver-skin between each one of them & the part around the bone, you probably call a "Shank Roast". After I'd get done trimming all the crap from between all those roasts, there isn't much left.
That's why I quit making Dried Beef from my Venison Hind quarters, and went right to the Backstraps. Too much freaking Work cleaning all those up!!
I know the 11 pointer Bear Jr got with his Bow was a Royal PITA. It dressed out at 212, and had a ton of Fat in it.

That's one of the reasons you see me making so many Deerburgers, plus it's the best tasting way to eat Venison. IMHO

Bear
Yep, we were and I understand you now.

But... And I get a laugh out of this... Not much left?
Man y'all's deer dwarf ours, 212 dressed out, damn, we think 200 on the hoof is nice big buck.
Wanna talk about not much left after trimming.

Burgers best tasting way?
Uh Oh, you and I are gonna have to agree to disagree, cause steaks and medallions the best tasting way to eat venison. IMHO. :D

Reactions: kerstingm

Man y'all's deer dwarf ours, 212 dressed out, damn, we think 200 on the hoof is nice big buck.

Uh Oh, you and I are gonna have to agree to disagree, cause steaks and medallions the best tasting way to eat venison. IMHO. :D

Unfortunately I didn't get out this year, I was fortunate a buddy got a bigin (220)dressed out
He did share his back strap and tenderloins (I am very fortunate on that)
Wished I'd grilled, cast iron was okay, not even close to off the smoker/grill flavor Resized_20181203_185222_7477.jpeg Resized_20181203_185222_7477.jpeg

Don't misunderstand me on that "Horse" Bear Jr shot with his Bow. That was a Freak!! I helped him drag it, and it was like a horse. Mt biggest 2 bodies in my career were both Buck---My first Buck (8 pointer) dressed out at 162, and then one after getting back from Vietnam---(a 7 Pointer) that dressed out at 146.
Most of the rest of mine were probably under 140 Live weight.
Bear Jr is mostly a Trophy Hunter these days, and won't shoot anything that won't add to his headmounts on his Livingroom wall, except for making sure he gets something to supply us with our yearly Deerburger supply.

And as for steaks & medallions, or any other kind of Deer Meat, I compare it to Beef, and the only thing I like more from Deer than from Beef is My Dried Beef, and our Deerburger. Any other Steaks, Roasts, or whatever I would prefer Beef over Venison without exception, and by far. That goes for myself, and anyone in my family, including my Son & my Brother who is also a Vietnam Vet who hunted all of his life. We all prefer Beef to Venison.

Bear

Straight venison grind with no added fat won't release much liquid. You just have to eyeball it unless you want to really want to get regimented about it. In that case you get your grill to a certain temp, throw the meat on and flip after x amount of minutes. Pull the burger after a specific amount of cooking time.
I do something like that with my grilled salmon so the skin gets good and crispy and the whole piece of fish is cooked well.
If I'm doing 100% ground venison with no added fat I feel they are juicier if skilliet fried and in a skillet you can always stab into one patty to check it so you don't overcook any of them. I have no problem eating 1 slightly probed or cut into patty so that method is simple and easy for me as well :)

I hope this info helps :)

Chile, I can back bear up on this one. I killed a doe a week and a half a go and there were spots on the top of her hinds that had 9/16" of fat on them. Almost the thickness of one of my fingers. I was literally digging in the football roast bottom trying to get all the fat out.

Bear, that deer tallow is great. I fried it outside and made a lot of dog bacon to extract the tallow. OUTSIDE is key to having a happy wife. I made Black powder patch lube for felt wads with 1/2 tallow and beeswax and I have a batch I made going on two years and he tallow is still in the basement fridge. No mold or anything. Left it out on the basement work bench for a month just to test it. It is still good.

TallBM, we mix pork or beef in with our ground deer, just to make it easier and stretch it. Buddy does this also. We are lazy and let it cook too long sometimes drinking beer. ;) My M-i-L takes what I give her and makes burger straight and will fry it in Olive oil in a cast iron pan. I'd let her cook for me too, but she moved all he way down to Memphis making that difficult.

Chile, I can back bear up on this one. I killed a doe a week and a half a go and there were spots on the top of her hinds that had 9/16" of fat on them. Almost the thickness of one of my fingers. I was literally digging in the football roast bottom trying to get all the fat out.

Bear, that deer tallow is great. I fried it outside and made a lot of dog bacon to extract the tallow. OUTSIDE is key to having a happy wife. I made Black powder patch lube for felt wads with 1/2 tallow and beeswax and I have a batch I made going on two years and he tallow is still in the basement fridge. No mold or anything. Left it out on the basement work bench for a month just to test it. It is still good.

TallBM, we mix pork or beef in with our ground deer, just to make it easier and stretch it. Buddy does this also. We are lazy and let it cook too long sometimes drinking beer. ;) My M-i-L takes what I give her and makes burger straight and will fry it in Olive oil in a cast iron pan. I'd let her cook for me too, but she moved all he way down to Memphis making that difficult.

Yeah, My Dad wasn't picky enough when he went over all the meat, and left a good amount of Fat in & on Roasts & Chops.
We 3 oldest Kids could have Spit Candles after most Venison Suppers.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky