Venison Back Strap 3 Ways!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Some of the guys at the firehouse are eating healthier trying to improve cholesterol and lose some fat. They have all lost 20# each so tonight was a big blowout cheat day for them....we pulled out all the stops and went BIG! Sous Vide/Double Seared Mule Deer Back Strap with Amaretto Cream Sauce over Linguini; Chargrilled Bacon wrapped Back Strap Poppers Stuffed with Cream Cheese, Onion, and Pickled Jalapeno with Steen's Cane Syrup Glaze; and Buttermilk Battered Fried Back Strap.

First, got the mule deer trimmed up, seared, and in the sous vide water around 1:30pm today. Let that go until 4:30pm when I headed to the firehouse.
IMG_20220629_134608.jpg

IMG_20220629_135101.jpg

The guys already had the poppers ready to go on the grill and the back strap cutlets pounded out and marinating in the buttermilk with a little cajun hot sauce.
IMG_20220629_170517.jpg

I got the sauce going first to let it simmer and thicken. First, 1 pint of heavy cream in the C.I. pan to reduce a little.
IMG_20220629_170452.jpg

Chipped the butter and allow it to warm to room temp.
IMG_20220629_170455.jpg

Then add 1 cup amaretto to the pan, stir in and let it simmer to thicken.
IMG_20220629_171029.jpg

When sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat, allow to cool slightly so the butter will not break, then add the chipped unsalted butter to finish the sauce.
IMG_20220629_175305.jpg

And the sauce is done!
IMG_20220629_180738.jpg

While I was making the sauce, Cousin started frying back strap cutlets while another fireman fired up the grill for the poppers and the corn on the cob.
IMG_20220629_175308.jpg

Let's Eat!
IMG_20220629_182013.jpg

Too much attention focused on the poppers....fireman over cooked the corn slightly....No complaints though-it was still edible and good.
IMG_20220629_180312.jpg

Last step was to sear the 1 1/2" sous vide mule deer back strap steaks in bacon grease in a hot pan on high heat...straight to plate after the sear...
IMG_20220629_182114.jpg

The plates.....
IMG_20220629_182536.jpg

Perfectly cooked venison back strap that will melt in your mouth! It was as tender as beef tenderloin!!
IMG_20220629_182841.jpg

IMG_20220629_182651.jpg

Outstanding meal tonight. Good execution with the exception of the slightly over cooked corn. No one pulled away from the table hungry I can tell you that!!!

Last edited:
The Amaretto cream sauce is stupid simple, but amazingly awesome!
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup amaretto
1 stick chipped butter

follow the steps outlined above^^^^

It is GREAT on blackened chicken and grilled pork tenderloin too!!

Reactions: mushroomboots
That all looks awesome fine dining for sure

Wow, and I mean a serious WOW!! That all looks amazing Keith. Way for you and the guys to team up and create one heck of a spread.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
IDS, WOW, nice looking meal !!!!
Thanks crazymoon!
Yes sir! That is one great looking meal. Feeding those guys right.
Jim
Thans JLeonard!

Makes me want to join the Fire Dept.
That is quite a spread!
Al
Thanks Al! There is a position open right now....
One word. . . Yum !
Thanks Winterrider!

Wow, and I mean a serious WOW!! That all looks amazing Keith. Way for you and the guys to team up and create one heck of a spread.

Robert
Thanks Robert! It was a good meal...give the sauce a go with blackened chicken or pork...it is good! Or hell-beef tenderloin cooked the same as I did the venison.

WOW, indeed a serious nice feast.
You guys partied it up for sure.

We do fried backstrap cuts every deer season, I need to ask what your
"breading" is to make them so crispy???

Also please share your Sous Vide Temp you cooked at?
I'm gonna be a copycat!!

WOW, indeed a serious nice feast.
You guys partied it up for sure.

We do fried backstrap cuts every deer season, I need to ask what your
"breading" is to make them so crispy???

Also please share your Sous Vide Temp you cooked at?
I'm gonna be a copycat!!
Breading is a soak overnight in buttermilk and Louisiana hot sauce. Coat them with a 4:1 ratio flour and corn starch. Season the flour 1 heaping TBSP. Cajun seasoning per cup of dry flour mix....

Sous Vide temp. is 128*F. BUT-only use this temp. IF YOU SEAR OR TORCH ON ALL SIDES prior to sealing in the bag!!! This will kill bacteria on the surface of the meat. And do not sous vide for more than 4 hours for extra insurance. I went 3 hours. When you pull them, let rest for about 10 minutes, then slice thick and sear the cut end and serve immediately. Do not hold. This will be the last step you do before people sit down to eat. We have everyone serve everything else and stand in a line...waiting for a hot piece of seared back strap....

Reactions: eaglewing
Breading is a soak overnight in buttermilk and Louisiana hot sauce. Coat them with a 4:1 ratio flour and corn starch. Season the flour 1 heaping TBSP. Cajun seasoning per cup of dry flour mix....

Sous Vide temp. is 128*F. BUT-only use this temp. IF YOU SEAR OR TORCH ON ALL SIDES prior to sealing in the bag!!! This will kill bacteria on the surface of the meat. And do not sous vide for more than 4 hours for extra insurance. I went 3 hours. When you pull them, let rest for about 10 minutes, then slice thick and sear the cut end and serve immediately. Do not hold. This will be the last step you do before people sit down to eat. We have everyone serve everything else and stand in a line...waiting for a hot piece of seared back strap....
AWESOME!!!! Thanks
hi.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky