Various Offal and their flavors?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suprnova74

Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
I've been doing keto for a while and one of my goto foods as it's higher in fat and just plain tasty is ring bologna. I noticed it contained beef hearts as one of the ingredients which got me thinking of potentially incorporating more offal into the meat rotation, but the only type I've ever had directly was liver and was never really enthralled with the flavor.. How are the other organ meats and what uses do you recommend for someone starting out on the Nose-to-tail journey?

The heart is a muscle so is the tongue, you can add these to sausage at 10-15% of meat mass. Liver can be mixed in as well to a emulsified sausage like bologna. Other organs like kidney, spleen need to be pre cooked and are usually included in basic liver sausage, so can brains but brains are treated like liver and not pre cooked.

I recommend you buy Stanley Marianski’s book:

“Polish Sausages, authentic Recipes and Instructions “

He does cover these types of sausage. Hope this helps.

I make organ sausage 1-2/year: all pig organs (cooked), rendered lard, some meat (cooked), the fried bits left after rendering lard. All spice snd thyme for condiments. Cooked rice or grits as filller. Poached after stuffing, best in hog middles. Serve cold or oven roasted.

Liver...you can make pate.

Heart - braised.

Tongue...pastrami style (cold smoked then steamed); or slow cooked, then sliced or shredded for tacos.

I have a few pate, organ sausage and tongue threads here-look them up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky