Valentines Day Rib Roast and lobster tails. Qview

Discussion in 'Beef' started by rbranstner, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Well I made a nice meal for the wife and I for Valentines Day. I had a 2lb rib roast in the freezer that I picked up on sale around Xmas time. I rubbed it down with garlic/onion powder, pepper, sea salt and accent in the afternoon and threw it on the smoker around 5:30 around 275 degrees and it was done in around two hours as I pulled it at 136 internal temp. I also found some lobster tails on sale last week so once the prime rib was done and in the cooler resting I brought up the smoker to around 375 degrees and I injected the tails with butter and threw them on for around 15 minutes flipping about half way through. Everything was awesome and it was the best rib roast I have made to date since I was able to let this one sit in the rub for longer. I was in such a hurry to get things done that my UDS basket didn't get fully lit so half of the barrel was going good and the other half wasn't so I had a hot half and a colder half on the smoker. I was noticing this on my thermometers but I figured that the analog one was finally taking a dump but it was actually because of how the fire was burning in the barrel. I normally rotate the meat 180 degrees about half way through the smoke but I didn't this time and you can see on the rib roast that one end is  little more rare than the other end. It worked out ok because I like mine more rare than my wife so I just ate the more rare stuff. Enough talking here is some Qview.

Rib Roast all seasoned up and ready to rest in the fridge.

[​IMG]

Here are the lobster tails after being injected with butter and ready to head to the smoker. They appear to be two different kinds of lobster. My wife was looking them up online but we couldn't identify them for sure. I ate the more orange one on the right and I thought it was better. It was more firm and full of flavor.

[​IMG]

Here is one sliced pic.

[​IMG]

A closer shot.

[​IMG]

I also made up some squash with butter and brown sugar in the oven for a side dish. Here is the full plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. lookwow

lookwow Smoke Blower

Been wanting to make some lobster on the smoker. need to build my uds first. Looks great.

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

That looks awesome and I'm sure tasted even better [​IMG]

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job Ross. That is a mighty tasty looking meal. Looks like you did good with the flowers too.  

5. Wow very nice..I'm sure your wife was pleased with you.[​IMG]  Excellent looking meal.

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now that's why your Lady Loves you cause she gets to eat like that. Great Job there Ross

Mine say thats one of the reasons she loves me too. THE FOOD

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. shooter1

shooter1 Smoking Fanatic

Excellent job Ross and you didn't forget the flowers. [​IMG]

8. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ross, That looks oh so great. The tails are interesting not being the same. The roast is a perfect color.

9. Looks fantastic!!! Your rib roast is perfect. Lobster looks great and some squash to boot! [​IMG]

I would say the Mrs. is one lucky woman to have you as her Valentine...

10. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Now that is some great looking grub.. nice job[​IMG]

11. Great Job! Looks awesome!!!!!!!!

12. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Perfect meal and with roses too. I'm guessing you got your Valentine present too!  [​IMG]

13. shhaker

shhaker Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

looks great!! yummmy!!

14. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

I fed her burgers and quail w/ lead shot for the big day:)  I'll be sure to keep her out of your rib roast and lobster thread.  Flowers were a nice touch aswell.  Looks awsome, well done sir....!

15. rbranstner

Yea I guess there is no need to be put in the dog house. haha

16. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Ah Yes---Young Love !

Thought you'd sneak one by me, huh RB?

Great looking Love Meal !

Bear

17. cycletrash

cycletrash Meat Mopper

Looks real good...I guess thats why i am single, I would of ate it all !! LOL

18. mtsmoker

mtsmoker Newbie

I have a new-b question...What is UDS?

19. Would you be my Valentine....heck with the roses..........give me a plate of that......[​IMG]

20. rbranstner

A UDS is a "Ugly Drum Smoker". Do a search on this site or google it and you will fine a ton of pictures of them and directions on how to make one. Basically its a 55 gallon drum turned into a smoker. They are AWESOME!