Vacuum Sealing Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Have several bags of dried red beans and pinto beans.

Want to vacuum seal and store in a bucket and lid.

Question-

1- Poke a vent in the original package and vacuum seal in foodsaver bag
2- Seal original bag in foodsaver bag, no hole in original bag
3- Seal beans un foodsaver bag only

Thanks!

I buy bulk bags, 10 to 20 pounds, then I repack them in 1 pound portions using vac-seal bags. Makes it easy to store and use, they keep for ever it seems.

Edited to add I use the rolls and custom size the bags.
Curious... never bought beans in that bulk. What price per pound are you paying? Don't see that putting some up for a rainy day would hurt.

I was leaning that way, but was wondering whether the original package could possibly provide any benefit.

I don't see how I could use the original packaging since I repack into smaller units. I suppose you could store the smaller vac-sealed bags in the larger one but I don't see any advantage to that. The original bag is usually not the cleanest in the world anyway.

How old are the beans you are vacuum sealing, and how much more life are you trying to get? I'm only curious because beans from the store can be 5 or 6 years old when you buy them. And although beans will last for many years, the quality sort of falls off after a while.

I used to work in the Four Corners area, and around Cortez, Colorado is bean country. I would bring back 50# bags of pinto and a smaller pink variety for friends and neighbors. The price at the elevator was very reasonable. My rancher friends over on the Wyoming Nebraska border grow Great Northern and Pinto beans and the growers get 2# bags for friends and family so getting the same years crop is a bonus.
Tq4inl3.jpg

Interesting

Last edited:
How old are the beans you are vacuum sealing, and how much more life are you trying to get? I'm only curious because beans from the store can be 5 or 6 years old when you buy them. And although beans will last for many years, the quality sort of falls off after a while.

I used to work in the Four Corners area, and around Cortez, Colorado is bean country. I would bring back 50# bags of pinto and a smaller pink variety for friends and neighbors. The price at the elevator was very reasonable. My rancher friends over on the Wyoming Nebraska border grow Great Northern and Pinto beans and the growers get 2# bags for friends and family so getting the same years crop is a bonus.
View attachment 514051
don't know how old they are.
bought several bags last year when they started denying commissary privileges to retirees due to covid last year.

Don't want to waste them, nice to have in a pinch.

Just vacuum seal and store, use if needed. no target length of storage

Vac seal and store in the freezer.... Botulism bacteria love a low oxygen environment...
The spores need to be heated to ~240F to be killed... Pressure canner temps...
cabinet stored old beans will not soften to make edible... Been there, done that....

Vac pack without the original packaging is what I would do.
Are you getting ready for the Armageddon?
We are stockpiling too.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky