vacuum sealers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tombruceuk

Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
London, England
Hi all.
Not sure this is 100% the correct area for this conversation but it's fairly close.
I've been looking at getting a vacuum sealer but have recently seen a chamber sealer. I understand the chamber sealer is ideal for liquids but what are you all using? Any suggestions or does anyone have both?
90% of stuff I'd like to seal would be solid but there may be to occasional chilli or even a soup, should i spend the extra on a chamber sealer?
The regular vacuum sealer looks a little easier to handle and small enough to live on the counter top, I suspect that even though the chamber sealer may be better it is so large that my wife would insist it is stored in the garage and therefore never get used.

thanks!

One of our forum sponsors has the InkBird Vacuum Sealer for 30% off when you clip the coupon right now on amazon. End up about $38. That one heck of a price and a great sealer. At that price you can have both. I really like the quart plus size bags. Think only one seller has them.

Reactions: tombruceuk
I've used the basic counter top Food Saver for over 15 years with great success. There are a couple of negatives though; it does not do well with liquid laden foods, sucks the liquid across the heat strip area and occasionally gets a bad seal as a result and the bags are wasteful so I always buy the rolls and cut my own bags to suit whatever I'm sealing. I've opened meats after a few months in the freezer and they were as good as when they went in. I tried the Food Saver canisters and found the vacuum seals were marginal at best, every one of them leaked air in a couple to a few days.

I have a chamber sealer and have also had regular “food saver “ type sealers. The chamber sealer is miles ahead of the rest. My wife rolled her eyes and huffed when I ordered it. She is converted and uses it as much as I have. There is a learning curve but it is fantastic to take chili out of the freezer and drop in a pot of simmering water to reheat. Chicken and dumplings also do well. Packaging meat, repacking rice or beans. It’s a tool that I will not be without again.

Reactions: tombruceuk
i put soup and chili in my food saver and bags.. thats what the buttons are for when liquid gets to top hit the seal button. occasionally some gets by but thats the moist setting for.. i bought the containers kit and jar sealing kit also

i put soup and chili in my food saver and bags.. thats what the buttons are for when liquid gets to top hit the seal button. occasionally some gets by but thats the moist setting for.. i bought the containers kit and jar sealing kit also
Occasionally get surprised by the moisture content in some foods, poultry and ground meat especially. Maybe I'll have to take a second look at the canisters.

For me, the biggest concern is the maintenance and upkeep on the sealer, (cost of bag/rolls, etc.) and the repair and/or replacement of the unit.

Since you are not making a lot of "liquid" bags, I would go with the countertop sealer like the Ink Bird BrianGSDtexoma mentioned. I use the same Ink bird sealer and outperforms my Cabela's sealer which quit working after about 1 year of intermittent use. For the price, they are expendable (recyclable).

The IB takes up little space. I keep mine in a kitchen drawer along with the bag rolls. As for chili and other meals, follow what rc4u stated. I do that with marinaded meats. Of course, sometimes I do miss the seal button. LOL! 🍻
John

I replaced my broken Wesont Pro 2300 with VacMaster Pro 380 (both about the same). When I received VacMaster Pro 380, I took it out of the box and performed the test - it didn't work. Contacted the manufacturer and they sent a technician to my house to fix it.... To cut the long story short: when technician arrived (and fixed the sealer) he told me that the best vacuum sealer all around is a VACUUM CHAMBER. He said it's like "you set it and forget it". Since then this always seats in my head... Yes, this is a large and heavy, bulk machine but if you have budget and room for it - get it....

I had one of the food savers that was probably $40 or so. Nothing fancy, and also bought the inkbird they had a while back on sale. I gave the food saver to my parents before I used the inkbird. But honestly I liked the food saver better. The inkbird isn’t junk but the food saver for what I use it for was just a little easier.

TB, I have owned several vacuum sealers over the years and they all eventually crap out.I have had a Vac master chamber sealer for 10 years and had no problems.If you have the money buy the chamber sealer ,it will last a lifetime.

I bought the Lem Mighty Max from Costco a 6 months ago. Haven't used my Weston 2300 since.
Yes the chamber vac is big, but using it is so much easier to position bags for sealing in it. Chamber vac bags are a LOT cheaper than foodsaver style so now I seal many more things than I did before.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky