Vacuum sealer bags

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
We love our Food Saver vacuum sealer, but the bags are a bit spendy. I found bulk rolls of bags on Amazon, but they were too big for the place inside the sealer the bags are stored. Just save the heavy cardboard tubes from the Foodsaver brand bags and roll on a bunch from the giant bulk rolls. problem solve, bags are now about 1/3 the cost.

Reactions: DougE
Just save the heavy cardboard tubes from the Foodsaver brand bags and roll on a bunch from the giant bulk rolls.
I do the same thing! The fifty foot bulk rolls are way too big to fit in my sealer, so I just roll off a portion of them onto an empty cardboard tube.

They do make bags in boxes with a cutter on them. Amazon has them, but I don't know abut the brands.

I had two food savers and processing wild game I had to upgrade to a VacMaster 350, which is now a 360. I burnt the heater strips controls out of the food savers.

I saw the boxes on Amazon ...... 100 foot rolls with a cutter made into the box. The reviews are mostly positive so I am going to give them a shot. I would just order from our sponsor, but shipping costs almost as much as the bag rolls.

I saw the boxes on Amazon ...... 100 foot rolls with a cutter made into the box. The reviews are mostly positive so I am going to give them a shot. I would just order from our sponsor, but shipping costs almost as much as the bag rolls.
Doug, I don't know which ones you looked at but Out Of Air (Amazon) has been on my radar for next purchase. They have cutter boxes also

Reactions: fxsales1959
Thanks for posting this, I am tired of the prices on the FS brand and been looking for options and I would say this may be it! Ordering now!

Reactions: DougE
may

may have to try those let us know
I will do that after I have used some of it.

I've used generic rolls before and didn't find much difference in construction, or how they performed. Awhile back, my wife found a 2 pack of 50 foot rolls (some off brand) at the goodwill. The only problem, if it really was one is that one of the rolls had a bit of a crease towards the end of the roll that happened when the plant spooled the plastic on the cardboard core and you kind of had to smooth it out a little or the bag wouldn't stay sucked down. Other than that, I really saw no difference compared to the FS brand rolls.

Here is what the wife found at goodwill, and you can't beat the price!.

1679782721010.png

2 11x50 rolls and they worked fine. Sealed a lot of meats, sausages and did a lot of SV cooks off those two 50 foot rolls.

I got the order delivered today. Thickness and construction seems comparable to the name brand rolls. It will take some time using these for a real review, but they look good so far.

1680043521092.png

1680043615261.png

1680043729212.png

The built in cutter on the box is sort of flimsy, but as long as the bag construction holds up, it isn't a big deal to wind it off onto empty cardboard cores that will fit in the roll compartment of my sealer.

1680044548233.png

1680044583371.png

1680044624143.png

Last edited:
Biggest thing would be bag thickness. Last time I bought vacmaster bags from a local restaurant supply store pre-made bags were less than $1 more than rolls. Normally we buy rolls but for the price... less sealing is worth it.

Ryan

Biggest thing would be bag thickness. Last time I bought vacmaster bags from a local restaurant supply store pre-made bags were less than $1 more than rolls. Normally we buy rolls but for the price... less sealing is worth it.

Ryan
Thickness seems about the same as Food Saver brand.

Thickness seems about the same as Food Saver brand.
These bags I got are 3 mil... awhile back we had gotten a roll of bags from I don't remember where... had more wrinkles than a Sharpei puppy ... didn't seal for squat.

Ryan

Overall thickness:

Foodsaver ........... .150in / 40mm

Wevac .120in / 34mm

Smooth side:

FS .0025in. / .07mm

wevac .0030in / 07mm

Textured side:

FS .0140in / .34mm

wevac .0100in / .27mm

My initial thoughts are that, while the branded rolls are slightly heavier, the wevac will work fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky