Using wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chiefsfan

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 7, 2023
I was wondering if anyone has the answer to this... I have an Electric vertical cabinet style smoker with 4 shelves. Currently the wood chip with a lid container sits lower right corner with water pan to the left of it. The chip box is removeable but sits directly above the heating element... I am gonna get the Amazen pellet tray...Since it should put out a bunch of smoke, should I still use the chip box that sits above the heating element or just remove it all together? Maybe using it too helps put heat out??

Reactions: JLeonard
Placing a pellet tray above the heating element will likely/possibly cause the entire tray to ignite. I personally use wood chips or a pellet smoke tube not both. A pellet tray will definitely add heat, especially using whole pellets, pellet dust not so much.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
I think I would leave the chip box because it might help distribute the heat, just my thoughts

I think I would leave the chip box because it might help distribute the heat, just my thoughts
Thanks.. and yeah I wasnt gonna put the tray directly over the element.. just sit it on a shelf, but wondered since I have the tray, do I even need the chip box? Sounds like maybe use them both.. it is gonna(Id think) generate heat itself since it is a metal box.

Not enough smoke with just chips?
As was said, the pellet tray right over the heat is not a good idea.
On a shelf should be fine for the pellet tray.

Not enough smoke with just chips?
As was said, the pellet tray right over the heat is not a good idea.
On a shelf should be fine for the pellet tray.
Yeah I wasnt gonna put pellet tray right over the element. The tray would help with not having to add chips to the chip tray so would past longer. How much MORE heat is generated by using the chip box than not using it at all ?

Not familiar with your smoker is there a way to set up the mailbox mod. How is the air flow inside your smoker, trays need more air than the tube style.

I removed the chip tray from my MES before it was ever used. Your smoker may be different.

If you click on the link in my signature you'll see exactly what I do in regards to the MES.

The tray was designed especially for the MES's... But it was meant to go over on the left side of the smoker on the 2 bars running across ...

Well lets see.. below the door are 2 drawers the top drawer is deeper than the lower one. The lower one is where the drip pan sits, which rarely gets dripped on.. The upper drawer which is directly under the door houses the chip tray which is directly over the element and to the left is the water pan. I have a round vent on the top about 3 inches in dia. that can open or close..when the wood chips start smoking it rises thru out the smoker, that tube mod is cool i coulf hang it with S hooks from upper rack I suppose..

First off, what kind of smoker do you have? Is it a MES or some other brand? Does it have an external chip loader?
Some people have good success with putting the AMNPS pellet tray inside the MES but I was never able to keep mine lit that way--just not enough air flow into the smoker. If you have the chip loader, it's a simple matter of removing the chip tray, chip loader, and adding a mailbox mod (just do a search for Mailbox Mod), and that will work great. No more adding chips every 20 minutes.
You won't get much additional heat from burning chips anyway.
Gary

First off, what kind of smoker do you have? Is it a MES or some other brand? Does it have an external chip loader?
Some people have good success with putting the AMNPS pellet tray inside the MES but I was never able to keep mine lit that way--just not enough air flow into the smoker. If you have the chip loader, it's a simple matter of removing the chip tray, chip loader, and adding a mailbox mod (just do a search for Mailbox Mod), and that will work great. No more adding chips every 20 minutes.
You won't get much additional heat from burning chips anyway.
Gary
It is a LANDMANN Smoky Mountain Series 32901.. The chips are loaded by pulling out a drawer(top drawer of the 2) theres like a chip can thats rectangle with a lid with holes in lid it sits directly over the element.

It is a LANDMANN Smoky Mountain Series 32901.. The chips are loaded by pulling out a drawer(top drawer of the 2) theres like a chip can thats rectangle with a lid with holes in lid it sits directly over the element.
Sorry but I'm not familiar with your smoker, but judging from the pics on their site, there's no practical way to hook up a mailbox mod without cutting a hoke into the chip tray drawer. So...using an AMNPS would require putting it inside the smoker. Success would then depend on the amount of fresh air accessing the cook chamber.
Gary

Sorry but I'm not familiar with your smoker, but judging from the pics on their site, there's no practical way to hook up a mailbox mod without cutting a hoke into the chip tray drawer. So...using an AMNPS would require putting it inside the smoker. Success would then depend on the amount of fresh air accessing the cook chamber.
Gary
Thank you, thats what I thought as well. Trial and error I guess.. Ill try the tray and the tube and see how it goes.. Then Ill try I guess.....to open the lower drawer a tad.... Even using the factory chip box that has a lid on it gives pretty good smoke, it just doesnt last , I try to use a large piece of wood in it that helps that. But it must get air somewhere.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I was wondering if anyone has the answer to this... I have an Electric vertical cabinet style smoker with 4 shelves. Currently the wood chip with a lid container sits lower right corner with water pan to the left of it. The chip box is removeable but sits directly above the heating element... I am gonna get the Amazen pellet tray...Since it should put out a bunch of smoke, should I still use the chip box that sits above the heating element or just remove it all together? Maybe using it too helps put heat out??
The obstacles in roller baller can include things like jumps, ramps, moving platforms, and gaps that you need to avoid falling into. There are also power-ups you can collect along the way to help you complete the level, such as speed boosts or temporary invincibility.

The game has multiple levels of increasing difficulty, each with its own unique set of obstacles and challenges to overcome. As you progress through the levels, the game becomes more difficult and requires greater skill and precision to complete.

Roller Baller is a great game for players who enjoy fast-paced, action-packed gameplay that requires quick reflexes and precision control. It's a great way to challenge yourself and have fun at the same time!

If you are planning to use the Amazen pellet tray, you can remove the chip box that sits directly above the heating element. The pellet tray will generate sufficient smoke on its own, so you won't need the additional smoke from the chip box.

Removing the chip box will also allow for better airflow within the smoker, which can help distribute heat more evenly. By eliminating the chip box, you'll have more space for your food on the shelves.

Make sure to follow the instructions provided with the Amazen pellet tray for optimal usage and placement within your electric vertical cabinet-style smoker. Enjoy your smoking experience!

If you are planning to use the Amazen pellet tray, you can remove the chip box that sits directly above the heating element. The pellet tray will generate sufficient smoke on its own, so you won't need the additional smoke from the chip box.

Removing the chip box will also allow for better airflow within the smoker, which can help distribute heat more evenly. By eliminating the chip box, you'll have more space for your food on the shelves.

Make sure to follow the instructions provided with the Amazen pellet tray for optimal usage and placement within your electric vertical cabinet-style smoker. Enjoy your smoking experience!
Thanks for the info. I look forward to using it.. And as far as my chip box, it has like a 1/2" rim that runs all around the top and the box actually sits down in a frame with that rim sitting flush at the top and has a lid.. therefore it sits down like the depth of the box maybe 3 inches right above the element..so from opening the drawer you can see the water pan on left and the lid of the chip box on the right..then there are shelves above that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky