Using up the smoked turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 16, 2019
Brentwood CA
Made up some Turkey Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup yesterday
Thanks 3.JPG

Turkey Tortilla Soup.JPG

This look Super amazing . We try mostly delicious products at home. But have you ever tried homemade tanning lotion . It include ingredients cocoa powder and other baking. Have a must try. test link

Last edited:
Reactions: ofelles
Man that looks super delicious. Got a recipe?
Here ya go
Turkey/Chicken Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
  • ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced (or to up the heat with fresh Hatch green chilis)
  • ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6-8 oz roasted hatch green chile, chopped
  • 20 oz Homemade condensed Mexican cream of chicken soup (see recipe below)
  • 3 cups cream or milk
  • 1 can (10oz Can) Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
  • 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
  • 3 tablespoons masa or cornmeal
  • 5 whole corn tortillas, cut into uniform strips (around 2" to 3")
  • Chicken broth, to adjust consistency, if needed
Garnishes
  • Sour cream
  • Avocados, diced
  • Salsa or Pico De Gallo
  • Monterey jack cheese, grated
  • Cilantro
  • Corn tortilla chips, crushed
Preparation:
  • Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
  • (Try smoking the chicken with pecan/cherry (breast to 160°F or thighs to 175°F) Preheat oven to 375°F.) Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done (or smoke). Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic. Stir and saute for about5 minutes, then add the rest of the spice mix and the hatch chile, stir to combine. Mix in condensed soup mix, cream/milk, tomatoes, tomato paste, and shredded chicken then stir to mix. Bring to just a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, uncovered.
  • Mix masa or cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Add more broth to adjust if needed then check seasonings, adding more if needed---add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to under salt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
  • Ladle into bowls, serve with garnishes.
Modified by Me (from) http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-tortilla-soup/ and http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/hatch-green-chile-recipes/green-chile-enchilada-soup/

(Condensed) Mexican Cream of Chicken Soup

Yield: About 2½ cups, or the approximate equivalent of 2-10oz cans of condensed soup

Ingredients:
  • 5 tablespoons of butter
  • ⅔ cup masa harina
  • 1½ cups chicken stock
  • ¾ cup cream or milk
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ⅛ tsp celery seed
  • ⅛ tsp dried thyme
  • ¼ cup cooked chicken, finely diced
Preparation:
  • Heat 5 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over med-high heat until melted. Add the masa harina, and stir until combined. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and is slightly toasted.
  • Then gradually whisk in chicken stock until the mixture is completely smooth. Stir in the cream/milk and the seasonings.
  • Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Then stir in the chicken, and remove pan from the heat.
  • Either use the condensed soup in a recipe immediately, or transfer it to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Note: This condensed homemade cream of chicken soup recipe is simple to make, easy to customize, and even tastier than the original canned version! This recipe is NOT meant to be consumed as-is. It is a concentrated soup, which means that it needs to be diluted to be eaten as a soup, or mixed into a recipe that calls for condensed soup

Modified by Me (from) https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/condensed-homemade-cream-chicken-soup-recipe

Man I missed it too! Looks delicious! Thanks for the recipes! Cold and windy here today, would be a great day for it.

Ryan

Have mercy! That is a gorgeous bowl of soup. Thanks for the recipe. It will be bookmarked to try out.
Jim

Here ya go
Turkey/Chicken Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
  • ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced (or to up the heat with fresh Hatch green chilis)
  • ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6-8 oz roasted hatch green chile, chopped
  • 20 oz Homemade condensed Mexican cream of chicken soup (see recipe below)
  • 3 cups cream or milk
  • 1 can (10oz Can) Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
  • 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
  • 3 tablespoons masa or cornmeal
  • 5 whole corn tortillas, cut into uniform strips (around 2" to 3")
  • Chicken broth, to adjust consistency, if needed
Garnishes
  • Sour cream
  • Avocados, diced
  • Salsa or Pico De Gallo
  • Monterey jack cheese, grated
  • Cilantro
  • Corn tortilla chips, crushed
Preparation:
  • Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
  • (Try smoking the chicken with pecan/cherry (breast to 160°F or thighs to 175°F) Preheat oven to 375°F.) Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done (or smoke). Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic. Stir and saute for about5 minutes, then add the rest of the spice mix and the hatch chile, stir to combine. Mix in condensed soup mix, cream/milk, tomatoes, tomato paste, and shredded chicken then stir to mix. Bring to just a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, uncovered.
  • Mix masa or cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Add more broth to adjust if needed then check seasonings, adding more if needed---add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to under salt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
  • Ladle into bowls, serve with garnishes.
Modified by Me (from) http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-tortilla-soup/ and http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/hatch-green-chile-recipes/green-chile-enchilada-soup/

(Condensed) Mexican Cream of Chicken Soup

Yield: About 2½ cups, or the approximate equivalent of 2-10oz cans of condensed soup

Ingredients:
  • 5 tablespoons of butter
  • ⅔ cup masa harina
  • 1½ cups chicken stock
  • ¾ cup cream or milk
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ⅛ tsp celery seed
  • ⅛ tsp dried thyme
  • ¼ cup cooked chicken, finely diced
Preparation:
  • Heat 5 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over med-high heat until melted. Add the masa harina, and stir until combined. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and is slightly toasted.
  • Then gradually whisk in chicken stock until the mixture is completely smooth. Stir in the cream/milk and the seasonings.
  • Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Then stir in the chicken, and remove pan from the heat.
  • Either use the condensed soup in a recipe immediately, or transfer it to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Note: This condensed homemade cream of chicken soup recipe is simple to make, easy to customize, and even tastier than the original canned version! This recipe is NOT meant to be consumed as-is. It is a concentrated soup, which means that it needs to be diluted to be eaten as a soup, or mixed into a recipe that calls for condensed soup

Modified by Me (from) https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/condensed-homemade-cream-chicken-soup-recipe

That sounds awesome. I think I need to try this! I just smoked a turkey breast and this would be perfect! I would sub the turkey meat for the chicken but the rest sounds great. Thanks for sharing!!!

That sounds awesome. I think I need to try this! I just smoked a turkey breast and this would be perfect! I would sub the turkey meat for the chicken but the rest sounds great. Thanks for sharing!!!

Turkey breast works great. I used it more than chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky