Using tomatillos in place of...,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
....ketchup in BBQ sauce. Looking to try something different. While back I asked this and some folks suggested using roasted red peppers. Haven't tried this yet. Reason I ask is about a month ago we roasted a bunch of tomatillos, onions, jalapeños and a few tomatoes to make some salsa. Got me thinking about substituting tomatillos for the ketchup in BBQ sauce...

Very different than tomato based sauce. I have made a few different ones this one is tasty. Best on porkand chicken.

1 pound tomatillos, husked (about 8 medium)
1 small onion, quartered
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems and leaves separated
2 tablespoons tequila

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the tomatillos and onion pieces in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil and a sprinkle of salt. Transfer the whole lot to a sheet pan, and roast in the oven until the vegetables blister and collapse, about 25 minutes.

Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the jalapenos and poblanos until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the honey, vinegar, coriander, mustard, roasted vegetables and cilantro stems and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce is slightly reduced and the roasted onions are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Transfer the sauce to a blender with the cilantro leaves and 2 teaspoons salt and blend until smooth. Stir in the tequila and season with more salt if desired. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days.

Reactions: inkjunkie
Very different than tomato based sauce. I have made a few different ones this one is tasty. Best on porkand chicken.

1 pound tomatillos, husked (about 8 medium)
1 small onion, quartered
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems and leaves separated
2 tablespoons tequila

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the tomatillos and onion pieces in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil and a sprinkle of salt. Transfer the whole lot to a sheet pan, and roast in the oven until the vegetables blister and collapse, about 25 minutes.

Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the jalapenos and poblanos until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the honey, vinegar, coriander, mustard, roasted vegetables and cilantro stems and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce is slightly reduced and the roasted onions are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Transfer the sauce to a blender with the cilantro leaves and 2 teaspoons salt and blend until smooth. Stir in the tequila and season with more salt if desired. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days.
Thank you Sir. I have a few questions...but that is for another time. Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky