Using Sour Orange for a butt injection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
i've never used Sour Orange for a boston butt injection but i've heard many good things.  i'm doing a bbq tomorrow for new years eve and i wanted to try it but i'm weary...

here are my questions:

- do you use SO by itself or with additives? brown sugar? hot sauce?

- when the meat is done will it have a strong orange/citrus taste? or does that "burn off"

- what exactly does the sour orange do for the pork?

thanks in advance

As Cubans have been using sour oranges(seville orange) to marinade meats a long time, put a cup of juice in blender, add a head of garlic,rough chopped, 1 tbsp each cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt and blend till smooth goodness, inject and rub away. Once you go Cuban, you'll never go back.

icon_cool.gif

Now wait a minute I have marinated my meat in that sour orange juice and I have gone back to just smoking. Just kidding there Cubanon. Now it does give the meat a good flavor and all. You can't beat a good hamemade cuban sammie either. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky