• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Using cast iron on a glass stove top?????

shinny

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 8, 2012
Has anyone had a problem using CI on a glass stove top? I've heard that the top may crack, is that from being dropped or the glass not being able to handle the heat with the weight on it?

I have an enamel Dutch Oven that I use and absolutely love, but would like to use my old CI skillet.

Thanks

coast2coast

Joined Nov 27, 2013
I use a cast iron skillet and a cast iron wok on my glass Jenn-air stove top with out any problems.

supercenterchef

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 26, 2011
It may scratch the surface up a bit...but I never dropped mine and never had any problems with cracking from the weight...

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
The "glass" stove tops are not really a true glass, but they are a glass ceramic composite material.  I have not seen a "do not use case iron" notice for them, but Whirlpool does caution not to slide rough cast iron as it "might" scratch the surface.  I don't think it would be a good idea to drop one on the surface either, but that is pretty much common sense.  I think if I dropped one of my hand sledges on any stovetop it would damage it, so I would expect no less from a similar weight be it a cast iron pan, a brick or whatever.

We have been cooking on one since 1998.  That stuff is tough as nails and easy to clean.  They make a special abrasive cleaner, but sometimes when stuff boils over and cooks onto the ceran surface, it's just as easy to take a single edge razor to it and scrape it off before hitting it with the cleaner.

And yes, I have an assortment of cast iron (raw uncoated, not the enameled cast iron) and I cook on my Whirlpool cook top all the time.

oldeboone

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 21, 2013
I have heard that they will not work properly on account of the uneven surface of the cast iron, however I have been using them without any problem. Ernie

Joined Dec 21, 2013
I always use mine on a glass top and recently did a sauce piquant in a cast iron camp oven( Dutch oven with legs) and it worked great. I didn't think it would but it worked exactly like if it was sitting directly against the surface.

frog1369

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 17, 2014
I use cast iron consistently on a flat top stove, prefer the CI much over the aluminum non-sticks.  I do try not to slide them around and for sure you don't want to drop them hard on the cook top, but I have slid them and so far not a scratch.  The one thing I do watch for is some pans have a ring which keeps the whole pan surface from contacting the stove, I stay away from those.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
 I use my cast iron on the glass top all the time.  When I say I use, its because its too heavy for Miss Linda.  And yes dropping it would be a BAD idea

Gary

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.