Using cast iron on a glass stove top?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shinny

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Harford County, Maryland
Has anyone had a problem using CI on a glass stove top? I've heard that the top may crack, is that from being dropped or the glass not being able to handle the heat with the weight on it?

I have an enamel Dutch Oven that I use and absolutely love, but would like to use my old CI skillet.

Thanks

I use a cast iron skillet and a cast iron wok on my glass Jenn-air stove top with out any problems.

The "glass" stove tops are not really a true glass, but they are a glass ceramic composite material.  I have not seen a "do not use case iron" notice for them, but Whirlpool does caution not to slide rough cast iron as it "might" scratch the surface.  I don't think it would be a good idea to drop one on the surface either, but that is pretty much common sense.  I think if I dropped one of my hand sledges on any stovetop it would damage it, so I would expect no less from a similar weight be it a cast iron pan, a brick or whatever.

We have been cooking on one since 1998.  That stuff is tough as nails and easy to clean.  They make a special abrasive cleaner, but sometimes when stuff boils over and cooks onto the ceran surface, it's just as easy to take a single edge razor to it and scrape it off before hitting it with the cleaner.

And yes, I have an assortment of cast iron (raw uncoated, not the enameled cast iron) and I cook on my Whirlpool cook top all the time.

Reactions: asfastasitgets
I have heard that they will not work properly on account of the uneven surface of the cast iron, however I have been using them without any problem. Ernie

I always use mine on a glass top and recently did a sauce piquant in a cast iron camp oven( Dutch oven with legs) and it worked great. I didn't think it would but it worked exactly like if it was sitting directly against the surface.

I use cast iron consistently on a flat top stove, prefer the CI much over the aluminum non-sticks.  I do try not to slide them around and for sure you don't want to drop them hard on the cook top, but I have slid them and so far not a scratch.  The one thing I do watch for is some pans have a ring which keeps the whole pan surface from contacting the stove, I stay away from those.

Reactions: asfastasitgets
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky