Useing Temperature Controlled Smoker As Outdoor Oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RME

Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Saratoga Springs NY
I have a temperature controlled gravity feed smoker/ outdoor oven that I have been using since last winter. It has a temperature range from 200 to 700F. It recently occured to me I could use this to replicate flavor from a wood fired oven.

It's worked out well.

E.g., just did this Bolognese https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-slow-cooked-bolognese-sauce-recipe . Have made it many times indoors. Cooked it a 300F in the gravity smoker and it was terrific. We even had an actual Italian from Italy say was about best Bolognese she had ever had.

It took me a few months to figure out I could use the gravity smoker this way. So if you have one, or any other temperature controlled grill/smoker, just bear in mind the temperature control feature let's you use it in other ways than smoking or grilling.

Reactions: 801driver
Exactly, it is like a convection oven. When the temp gets hot and I don't want to turn on the oven in the house, I use my grill outside. It is actually better because it is a wood fired convection oven.

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky