Use pellet tube rather than chip box?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
I have a cabinet style propane smoker. This past weekend I smoked cheese with a pellet tube for the first time. It seemed like the pellet tube worked flawlessly and a small amount of pellets lasted 4 hours in the tube.

Do any of you use or have seen use of a pellet tube when hot smoking meats rather than the chip/chunk box?

Another reason I ask is because when I smoke over the winter I have a hard time keeping my temp up without having the propane cranked but when I pull the chip box out to empty and put more chips in the temp spikes higher. Almost seems like the heat gets higher to the meat a lot more efficiently without the chip box (directly above flame) in the smoker.

More consistent smoke? Better heat distribution? Lower cost for pellets than chips/chunks? Any opinions/experiences on this one?

The Tube was designed for the Gasser and other Oxygen depleting Smokers. The MAZE worked in Electric Smokers but not in anything that burned Fuel. The Tube design solved the problem, having bigger holes and the straight line created a greater area for Oxygen contact with the pellets. Yes, you can use it for HOT Smoking in your smoker, just keep it away from the burner and as close to any fresh air inlet as possible...JJ

Pellet tube worked best for me. That's me though....chip box kept catching on fire. Keep in mind, It was with a gas grill, not a smoker. Didn't matter whether I soaked chips/chunks or not. If you can keep them from catching fire, the smoke flavor may be a little better. IMHO...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky