Use Culture in a Polish or Russian Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
Planning a batch of Polish Cold Smoked or Russian Cold Smoked sausage (Marianski pages 431 & 432.  Picked these because they don't call for lengthy and complex drying I'm not equipped for.  Unlike many dried sausages, neither calls for a culture to be added.  Both start with cold (35-42 degrees) and "cool" aging, which perhaps means cultures wouldn't even work.  I have FLC and TSPX on hand, but not sure how or if I should consider using either.  This is new ground for me.  Should I just go with the recipes as written, or would a culture provide some benefits?  Not sure where I would add culture, given the fairly cold start on both these recipes.  Thanks!!

Use the recipes as written...  Save the cultures, in the freezer, until you are ready to "culturally" age meats... which isn't that tough... used to be done in caves that had the correct humidity and temperature..  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky